Sectors: Finance Position: Food & AgTech Investment Leader Search #: kr-1506
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to help recruit an investment leader for food and ag tech ventures for one of the world’s largest investment companies. Our client’s investment themes centre on: transforming economies; growing middle income populations; deepening comparative advantages; and emerging champions. Its portfolio covers a broad spectrum of industries: financial services; telecommunications, media, and technology; transportation and industrials; life sciences, consumer, and real estate; as well as energy and resources. It has a growing portfolio in food and agriculture across the globe and is interested in expanding into early stage and growth investments in ag tech and broader food value chain in North America and over time expand to Europe and Latin America. Consequently, we seek an investment leader for these efforts. This person will lead collaboration and investment activities joining the capabilities of our client’s innovation unit (early stage and growth investments) and its Agri team.
The purpose of this role is to guide investment activities at the intersection of innovation and the food and agriculture value chains. This executive will work closely with colleagues in the innovation unit and agri team and the investment committee with responsibility to monitor current investments, evaluate potential investment opportunities, manage the firm’s interests in selected portfolio companies through to a liquidity event or full exit event, and execute projects pertaining to the administration of our client’s portfolio.
We seek a results-driven investment executive experienced in the food, agriculture, and related sectors, ideally with experience in evaluating early stage investment opportunities. The individual would have excellent strategic thinking skills, a strong team-oriented attitude, and a business builder’s perspective and thought process. The winning candidate will exhibit the integrity and values that underpin our client’s culture.
- Define or Revisit strategy for Ag Tech sector
- Build a portfolio of early stage (A, B, C series) investments in the food and agricultural value chain with initial focus on few areas such as alternate protein, biologicals, and food ingredients.
- First focus on US/Canada but overtime expand to Europe and Latin America.
- Drive value creation, monitoring, and exits.
- Develop industry relationships and ability to tap senior industry advisors and CEOs and VC funds.
- The successful candidate will start with a portfolio of four companies in which the firm has already invested.
- Our client might look at investing in VC funds to build and co-invest alongside corporate partners.
- Build on the strengths of the current portfolio while reassessing and enhancing the longer-term strategic direction of the portfolio, including repositioning part of the portfolio.
Sectors: Finance Position: Chief Financial Officer Search #: kr-1504
Our client is an agricultural technology company that works with its partners to harness natural and novel genetic variation through breeding, trait development, and genome editing to develop products that accelerate crop improvement. Major advancements in the analytics of big data through cloud computing have revolutionized industries. They endeavor to bring that revolution to plant genomics by combining the power of these technologies with deep biological expertise and empower organizations of all sizes to advance superior products to market faster and for less cost, and to tackle the greatest challenges in crop development.
Reporting to the CEO and based in St. Louis, MO, the CFO’s responsibilities will range from working with the CEO to shape financing and business development opportunities, overseeing all financial reporting, accounting, budgeting, and tax-related requirements, and conducting various non-financial administrative functions and processes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support for strategic and tactical plan development and implementation
- Financial planning and capital structure
- Financial reporting and control
- Financial spokesperson and investor relations
- Human Resources and Employee benefits
- Risk Management
- Oversee effective IT security and financial systems performance.
- Supervise accounting and administrative personnel.
For this important role, we seek a seasoned finance executive with leadership experience in entrepreneurial companies, likely in the agriculture, food or related life science or technology spaces. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, agile and adaptable to an often-changing landscape with the ability to excel in a goal-oriented environment. The ideal candidate will blend strong strategic capabilities with an operational willingness to do the “heavy lifting” required to transition a company through rapid growth and the ability to mentor staff, engage outside service providers, and collaborate with peers on the leadership team.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated strategic thinker regarding competitive strategy, business models, and financial management.
- Strong written and oral communication as well as general business and analytical skills to immediately become a significant contributor of the senior executive team.
- Demonstrated success in applying business acumen to anticipate uncertainty, manage risk, embrace change and drive sound decision-making throughout the organization. Strong ability to think creatively and effectively solve challenges.
- Collaborative approach internally (accounting/finance team, cross-functional personnel, executive team, global personnel) and externally (lenders, independent auditors, stakeholders, investors).
- Understand investor needs and capable of leading impactful investor relations initiatives.
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated solid track record of working apolitically and successfully in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate team members at all levels to create a dynamic environment with productive staff.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: SVP/ General Manager Search #: kr-1502
Our client is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet, lawn and garden supplies markets. The business unit is dedicated to improving the health, well-being, and the protection of companion animals, livestock, plants, stored grains, and the environment. This division manufactures and markets some of the most recognized professional and consumer brands of insecticides in the veterinary, animal health, specialty pest control, and public health/vector control markets.
Reporting to the EVP, Animal and Public Health, the SVP/General Manager, Professional Brands position provides full financial, sales, marketing, and direction for key livestock/agricultural brands that include, but are not limited to, Altosid, Clarifly, Diacon, Starbar and the Zoëcon Professional Products for use in the structural pest control and vector markets. Additionally, this role leads the unit’s active ingredient R&D/regulatory innovation strategy and sales. The commercial equine and companion animal markets as well as the unit’s manufacturing will be managed separately.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create a robust innovation pipeline to ensure a consistent and appropriate mix of new product development and existing product enhancement to meet customer needs.
- Manage the licensing of existing active ingredient portfolio; identify new strategic active ingredients to support the growth strategy; identify and market active ingredient portfolio to new customers.
- Oversee the licensing of new technologies and products; develop partnership agreements for technology collaborations or product commercialization.
- Partner with corporate legal team to structure and negotiate deals.
- Identify and evaluate acquisition targets as a component of aggressive growth strategy. Lead and conduct diligence activities and negotiate transactions.
- Participate and represent our client on various industry boards, taskforces, and industry associations.
Sectors: Precision Agriculture Position: General Manager, Agriculture Search #: kr-1501
Our client, a leader in precision agriculture solutions are revolutionizing traditional farming to feed a hungry world. Though best known for GPS technology, they integrate a wide range of positioning technologies including laser, optical, and inertial technologies with application software, wireless communications, and services to provide complete commercial solutions. Its integrated solutions allow customers to collect, manage, and analyze complex information faster and easier, making them more productive, efficient, and profitable. Our client’s products are used in over 150 countries around the world. Customers are supported by employees in 35 countries, coupled with a highly capable network of dealers and distribution partners.
Continued growth in the Agriculture Division has created a need for a General Manager, Agriculture Division for its Field Solutions business. The successful candidate will understand the go-to-market channels for crop inputs, equipment, and decision-making tools. Knowledge of the original equipment manufacturers and their product development and decision-making processes is highly desired. Prior experience in precision agriculture is not required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and execute a strategic global vision for Agriculture that re-energizes the business and its employees, positioning for long-term success in the various markets globally that it serves and ensuring that growth and profitability targets are effectively delivered.
- Directly oversee the sales, and marketing functions and, indirectly, the engineering, operations and business support functions for the division.
- Meet revenue, profit, and expense budgets on a quarterly, annual, and 3-year basis.
- Establish appropriate short and long-term strategies to compete effectively in the current and future market.
- Build and maintain pipeline of leadership talent, including succession plans for direct reports and other key roles.
- Establish and achieve performance against non-financial Key Performance Indicators.
Sectors: Crop Production Position: Vice President of Trading & Risk Search #: kr-1500
Our client is focused on two primary businesses: Grain & Oilseed Merchandising unit; and a Commodity Logistics unit. Over the past two years Ceres has increased its volume handled by over 600% through better utilization of its infrastructure and the successful buildout of its investment at Northgate.
This position will manage all activities related to Trading and Risk Management for the grain & oilseed business, including: origination, freight, trading & merchandizing, prop & central hedge desk. This includes all day to day execution and P&L related activities (futures, cash basis, freight, sales, origination, etc.) and taking the lead on developing the long-term strategic plan. This position is a member of the executive leadership team and has frequent interaction with the board of directors.
Essential duties & Responsibilities (includes, but are not limited to):
• Oversee day-to-day trading and merchandizing activities
• Manage, train, coach and lead a team of trading professionals across the organization (~8 direct reports & over 15 employees in total, and growing)
• Ensure proper risk and control parameters are adhered to
• Take the lead on developing the long-term strategy for the grain & oilseed business, collaborating with the executive leadership team and board of directors
• Provide thought leadership for other areas of the business as a member of the leadership team
Sectors: Finance Position: Vice President of Accounting & Finance Search #: kr-1499
Our Client is focused on two primary businesses: Grain & Oilseed Merchandising unit; and a Commodity Logistics unit. Over the past two years they have increased its volume handled by over 600% through better utilization of its infrastructure and the successful buildout of its investment at Northgate.
The VP accounting and Finance is responsible for all aspects of the day to day accounting, financial, regulatory and taxes. This position will be a member of the leadership team and is key to enabling the organization deliver on its goal and objectives set forth in its strategic and annual plans. The successful candidate will liberate the CFO to focus upon longer-term growth and profitability initiatives, and ideally will be groomed to be a successor to the CFO.
Specific Position Responsibilities (scale and scope depending upon the candidate)
- Direct all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to the general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting.
- Analyze the company’s financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs and compliance with budgets. Issue regular status and ad hoc reports to senior management.
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting. Ensuring that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist senior management in financial planning and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking.
- Coordinate, prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Coordinate and/or prepare tax schedules, returns and information.
- Coordination and execution of annual financial statement audits.
- Ensure accounting systems are proficient and able to scale with the growth of the business.
- Maintain a strong control environment
- Manage all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property and other applicable taxes.
- Build the accounting and tax departments as the company grows
- Other finance and administrative duties as required.
Sectors: Equipment Position: VP, Procurement, Restaurant Equipment, Materials, and Services. Search #: kr-1498
Our client is the exclusive supply chain management organization for Yum! Brands, Inc. and its three restaurant systems — KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. They also manage the supply chain for the A&W restaurant system through specific purchasing agreements. With world-class buying expertise, supplier-relationship management and evolving strategic processes, our client negotiates pricing for over 22,000 products including food, packaging and equipment items in support of multiple restaurant brands.
The Vice President of Procurement, Restaurant Equipment, Materials and Services is an integral member of the leadership. The VP of Procurement role leads the team responsible for developing and executing procurement strategies and programs supporting Restaurant Equipment, Materials (development and remodel of assets), and Services. Services include Maintenance, Technology and Other Indirect Goods and Services focused on creating value for Co-Op Members. The role offers a diverse set of spend categories and an opportunity to develop and enable competitive advantages in asset ROI, Total Cost In Use, supply chain execution, speed to market, and innovation across a wide range of stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Primary Architect / owner for the development and deployment of commodity and category strategies with a focus on delivery of competitive advantage and supplier performance/execution.
- Primary Architect / owner for the development, stakeholder alignment and execution of commercial negotiation strategies with a focus on delivery of competitive advantage and supplier performance/execution.
- Leadership and Development of the team to establish best in class expertise, capabilities and skills and foster/build a culture of engaged and energized associates
- Commercial Process owner ensuring full and consistent use of best in class sourcing processes and tools across the spend portfolio.
- Primary owner of strategic supplier relationships across this portfolio and for the ongoing development, management, measurement and continuous improvement of supplier performance.
- Critical Thought Leader / Partner working in collaboration with Brand Architecture, Development and Engineering Teams to drive equipment and restaurant design, innovation, supplier development & engagement, and commercialization strategies & process.
- Critical Thought Leader / Partner working in collaboration with Concept Supply Chain SVP and Concept Operations Managers to flawlessly execute brand strategy.
- Thought Leader / Contributing Architect in developing the framework, peer relationships and supply chain capabilities to drive seamless integration across functional responsibilities within the BU (BU peer group includes Customer and Fulfillment Operations, Warehouse and Logistics, Program Management Office) as part of the Business Unit Transformation.
- Thought Leader / Architect in developing best in class tools and technology to enable efficient transactions, supply chain visibility, and customer service across the portfolio of goods & services and the supply base.
Sectors: Crop Production Position: CEO Search #: kr-1497
Co-owned by a progressive farmer and a leading biofuels engineering/design, our client processes high quality corn into food ingredients and shares synergies with its partner that produces ethanol, animal feed ingredients and industrial products. The integration of these facilities provides flexibility in co-product value optimization and upgrades the value of food co-products.
The CEO will have full P&L responsibility and will be accountable to provide leadership to all commercial, administrative, operational, and financial aspects. Reporting to the Board of Members, s/he will be responsible for establishing the strategic direction to advance the Company’s mission and objectives (with input from the Board and his/her leadership team), implementing a tactical plan, resourcing the business with the highest caliber employees, and establishing a tone-at-the-top of results-orientation, impeccable values and ethics, and strong financial management.
Our client seeks results-driven executive who has an entrepreneur’s savvy and tenacity and a business builder’s perspective, thought process, and execution capability. S/he must be a strategic thinker and doer with a “roll-up-your- sleeves” management style and possess strong interpersonal skills that are equally effective in a boardroom, with customers, and with plant employees. S/he must be capable of building and developing a successful commercial organization while collaborating with and gaining alignment with the Board.
Skills & Abilities
- Leadership/empowerment: Ability to provide vision and direction and align resources appropriately. Leadership style that inspires others to perform to their maximum capabilities. Strong work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity
- Strategic agility: Ability to formulate a strategic direction and translate it into action. Effectively communicate the big picture so employees and stakeholders understand the current state, future state and the existing gaps.
- Business knowledge: Demonstrate good understanding of plant operations, finance, risk management, and sales & marketing. Understand company financials, business strategies, and the drivers of success in the external business environment. Ability to analyze business issues and utilize functional expertise and broader business insights.
- Accountability: Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership in the goals and strategies of the company. Monitor progress against goals, identify issues, and take corrective action early.
- Communication: Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with people of all levels of the company.
Sectors: Crop Production Position: General Manager Search #: kr-1495
Mount Gambier, Australia
Our client is a pioneer in sustainable horticulture that develops, owns, and operates greenhouses. Their farms integrate renewable energy generation, fresh water conservation, climate control, and hydroponics to enable the year-round production of premium produce.
As a result of the company rapidly expanding its operations in Australia, Kincannon & Reed have been exclusively retained to recruit a talented and experienced individual for the position of General Manager for their fresh strawberry facility located near Mt Gambier, South Australia in order to drive the company forward and to implement strategic growth plans for its European business operation.
The purpose of the role is to assume responsibility for delivering on the company’s exciting plans for becoming a major producer of quality berries to the Australian market.
Guided by the objectives of company, the General Manager provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, reporting procedures and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency.
- Responsible for driving the company forward to achieve production targets as well as sales/profitability and growth targets for its existing business including new project development and execution.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all processes internal and external. Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes outlined in the strategic plan.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the organization.
- Motivate and lead a high performance team; attract, recruit and retain required members of the team not currently in place; provide mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and competitor activities through maintaining active contacts and networks in the Australian marketplace.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
Sectors: Dairy Position: Senior Director, Sales Search #: kr-1494
Our client is seeking a Senior Director, Sales to provide best-in-class leadership to their sales organization. This growing cooperative is seeking an outstanding sales executive to lead the business building efforts and to serve on the leadership team. Joining a highly experienced and motivated executive team, this commercial executive will maintain and build strategic alliances with leading dairy and food manufacturing companies.
Reporting to the General Manager, we seek a proactive and collaborative sales executive with well-established strategic relationships with dairies and food manufactures and a track record of partnering with the commercial operations team to build a business. Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain and grow key customer relationships with strategic partners in the dairy and food industry, which result in building long term, sustainable profitable revenue for the core product lines.
- Develop and implement a robust go-to-market strategy for the organization.
- Lead, develop, and implement short- and long-term strategies for milk, resulting in optimum asset utilization and a competitive advantage in the industry.
- Engage her/his team to develop a sustainable high performing culture.
- Promote, maintain, and enhance the overall reputation of the Cooperative to its customer base as a high quality producer of milk based products that meets customer requirements.
- Contribute to the success of the cooperative through active counsel to the senior management team, of which s/he is an integral member.
- Regularly report to the Company’s Board of Directors.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with progressively responsible Sales/Sales Management, preferably from the dairy or food ingredient sectors. Will consider candidates from commodity/trading firms who have demonstrated an ability to sell consultatively.
- Experience in building and managing high-performance teams is preferred.
- Successfully led the sale of dairy based ingredients resulting in tangible revenue growth.
- Established and maintains strong relationships with key decision makers at local, regional and national dairy and food processors.
- Collaborated effectively with peers across his/her company including Finance, QA/Food Safety, Logistics, and Operations to achieve financial commitments.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, or related discipline. An MBA is a plus.
Position: Vice President, Sales and Marketing Search #: kr-1492
Our client requires a best-in-class sales and marketing executive to bring customer focus to the commercial organization while delivering against the company’s ambitious growth plan. The company is a leader in the pet food and food ingredient industries. The Vice President, Sales and Marketing will report to the COO. We seek an individual with strong leadership skills, established strategic relationships in the pet food ingredient industry and track record of success.
The Vice President, Sales & Marketing is responsible for generating significant profitable and sustainable revenue, primarily from pet food manufacturers and will influence strategy, revenue, and income. The client operates in a fast-paced environment that encourages employees to be self-starters, positive role models and have an entrepreneurial spirit with a servant mindset.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the success of the team through active counsel to the senior management team, of which s/he is an integral member.
- Maintain and grow key customer relationships with strategic partners primarily in the pet food manufacturing community which will result in building long term, sustainable profitable volume for the ingredient line.
- Develop and implement sales processes to ensure business predictability as the business grows.
- Coach, mentor, and develop the Key Account Leaders while providing them with the right tools (such as CRM software) so each individual is thoroughly engaged and can be counted on for their contributions.
- Promote, maintain, and enhance the overall reputation of the company to its customer base as a high quality ingredients provider that meet customer requirements.
We seek a proactive and collaborative sales and marketing executive with well-established strategic relationships with branded, private label, and contract pet food manufacturers. The successful candidate will possess a track record of partnering with the commercial operations team to build a business.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience with progressively responsible business to business selling experience preferably with pet food or animal feed ingredient companies. Candidates from other sectors, such as human food ingredients, will be considered.
- Successful experience in leading the sales and marketing efforts in a business to business environment, resulting in tangible profitable revenue growth.
- Has maintained an established network of strong relationships with key decision makers at pet food manufacturers.
- Experience collaborating effectively with peers across his/her company including Finance, QA/Food Safety, Logistics, and Operations to achieve financial commitments.
- Experience in building and managing high-performance teams is preferred.
Sectors: Crop Protection Position: Director, Product Development Search #: kr-1489
A Fortune 500, diversified chemical company serving agricultural, industrial, and consumer markets globally since 1883 with innovative solutions, applications, and quality products, seeks a competent scientist and dynamic leader of scientists. As a global leader utilizing advanced technologies and customer-focused research and development, our client provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to food and agriculture, pharmaceutical, pulp and paper, textiles, glass and ceramics, rubber and plastics, lubricants, structural pest control, turf and ornamental markets, and specialty and related industries.
The Director of Product Development is responsible to lead the development and execution of the Innovation Growth Platform for the AG Solutions US & Canada business regions targeting substantial profitable sales growth through the execution of a combination of regional and global portfolio initiatives. This position directs research and development efforts to make all new product concepts a reality in achieving business growth objectives. Key is the integration of business development initiatives with regional product development initiatives and global portfolio expansions to optimize spend and speed to market. This position also has a key role on the regional leadership team and in supporting the development and implementation the local business strategy. His/her opinion will matter and is expected, and strong personality is required to engage with others in vigorous and constructive debate. This position is more about prioritizing and leading, mobilizing resources, and eliminating obstacles than personally solving scientific problems.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Business development:
- Initiate and manage the business relationship for 3rd party alliance partners and business Interactions
- Maintain and update an opportunity tracking of potential product and business development opportunities with POS/NPV opportunity, cost to develop and timeline for each.
- Present FMC capabilities to third parties and coordinate interactions with other APG functional departments
- Participate in product and/or company acquisition projects and strategy development sessions.
- New Product Research and Development
- Manage a team of Product Development Mangers charged with numerous new product development projects.
- Develop, implement and manage Project Management system for all development projects
- Design and conceptualize new product concepts
- Prioritize all product development opportunities to optimize return on capital employed.
- Directly supervise a staff of Ph.D. Product Development Managers in the US and Canada.
Other position parameters include:
- The role reports to the Vice President and Business Unit Head for North America
- The position is supported by a team of 10 direct and indirect reports
- The post is located at FMC’s innovation center near Princeton, New Jersey.
- Occasional (less than 20% of time) international and domestic travel will be required.
The ideal candidate is first and foremost an excellent product development leader, both functionally and as a team leader. She/he will have most or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Broad functional knowledge of marketing, finance, strategy development, biology, regulatory, legal
- Broad organizational knowledge to harness resources and communicate
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent people and communications skills
- Highly organized
- Sense of urgency, passion, commitment, work ethic and drive for results
- Able to handle a broad range of issues at the same time with attention to detail and time sensitivity
- Respect for cultural diversity in dealing with third party alliances from other countries and cultures
- 10+ years of successful product development and project management experience in agricultural chemicals or biotechnology.
- Strong scientific education base (PhD preferred) with additional business education, such as an MBA
- Business development:
Sectors: Crop Protection Position: Regional Manager Search #: kr-1488
Our client aims to become a leading company in supplying agro-chemical products in the world. They have all the resources needed for the production of agrochemicals, including all the raw material and intermediates and are environmentally aware with all by-products and wastes being fully utilized through production integration. This approach contributes to minimizing its environment footprint, improving overall cost efficiency and improving profit margins significantly.
The purpose of this role is to develop long-term, high volume, profitable customers in Southeast Asia (inclusive India and India sub-continents). Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develop and execute regional sales and marketing strategies to achieve target sales and profits.
- Understand customers, markets, and trends in each country through qualitative and quantitative market research.
- Based upon this analysis, develop and execute marketing and sales strategies and tactics to achieve target sales and profits
- Work closely with the marketing department to develop pricing strategy for all product ranges
- Manage key customer relationships and identify business opportunities and collaborations regionally
- Participate in international exhibitions to promote and market the Group’s products
- Establish and set KPIs for team members and hold the team accountable for the achievement of agreed targets.
- Lead, manage, and mentor a young and enthusiastic team.
We seek a deeply experienced, wise, and high energy sales/ business development leader with a track record of success building volume and profitability in crop protection products.
- The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Former experience and track record of success with multi-national crop protection companies
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English is necessary. Knowledge of another additional regional language would be an added advantage.
- Results oriented
- A team builder, motivator, mentor, and leader.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- A self-starter; works independently
- Reliable, dedicated, and passionate for customer service
Sectors: R&D Position: Chief Development Officer Search #: kr-1487
This role is critical in the build out of the small executive leadership team, driving the suite of agriculture related R&D programs of the Accelerator towards commercialization.
Our client is a young and dynamic startup company with the mission to identify compelling early stage investment opportunities created by technology convergence in the agricultural value chain. The scope includes up-stream sectors of plant and animal sciences, but also expands to downstream opportunities in e.g. grain processing or food safety. Fostering a ‘new entrepreneurialism in agriculture’ it aims at filling a variety of important technology gaps, and accelerating technology development through its proven management approach.
The purpose of this role is to work closely with the CSO, CEO and the Scientific Advisory Board to identify, evaluate and aggressively develop new Accelerator projects on their scientific, but also value creation merits. With a focus on investment diligence, planning and executing R&D plans, it requires efficient project management and oversight of third party relationships.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop pipeline for new portfolio companies based on scientific insights and in alignment with the business strategy and mission.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive but swift diligence process for investment projects.
- Direct and manage assigned R&D activities, ensuring research excellence while delivering on milestones.
- Manage high-level R&D collaborations with industry. Build and manage strategic alliances and other collaborative relationships with the broader scientific community, including academia.
- Execute and meet or exceed the company’s Business Plan, vision and mission.
- Develop realistic budgets for small company technology advancement, based on entrepreneurial know- how and not on resources typical of a large company.
- Establish project tracking and reporting for Executive Management and Board of Directors
We seek an accomplished, entrepreneurial science and technology leader with the ability to assess and develop winners. Ideally, this executive will have had a senior level executive role in plant or animal agricultural science, and can work across the spectrum of large and small private sector companies, institutes and academia.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of post-PhD research leadership experience including successful R&D management of multidisciplinary teams spanning a range of functional areas and science categories.
- Led successful product development efforts in a relevant regulated industry segment
- Proven success in interactions with key stakeholders, e.g., investors, industry partners, academic and public officials, to both identify and develop technology, as well as overcoming related challenges.
- Knowledgeable about current trends/issues in agricultural technology.
- A solid understanding of the budgets and resources required for both internal R&D as well external collaboration for fast-track product development.
- Proven success leading a product-oriented R&D program requiring deep scientific competency, innovative thinking, and organizational and collaborative skills.
- Track record of successfully manage a complex portfolio of projects within timelines and budgets
- Solid understanding of the product development process in regulated industries.
- Business acumen and project management knowledge
- Proven leadership skills in vision and strategy creation; can engage organization.
Sectors: Crop Production Position: President Search #: kr-1482
The successful candidate will have the accomplished commercial and operational management background to lead this business through an ambitious growth phase. This executive will be financially savvy, excel at team building and leadership, and develop and lead the execution of strategy that will profitably build the business and strengthen its position as a category leader. The candidate will have full P&L responsibility and will be accountable to provide leadership of all commercial, administrative, operational, and financial aspects of the division. S/he will be responsible for establishing the strategic direction with input from the client’s Executive Committee and his/her seasoned leadership team, implementing a tactical plan, resourcing the division with the highest caliber employees, and establishing a tone at the top of impeccable values and ethics, and strong financial management. The ideal candidate will be creative and visionary, and will be able to translate future consumer needs into commercial success.
Experience and education
- A minimum of 10 years in management. Extensive P&L experience for a size appropriate business unit. Strong experience in horticulture, nurseries, lawn and garden, seed, or other seasonally-impacted, consumer-oriented sectors is highly desirable.
- In a general management or commercial position, played a key role in the significantly scaling of revenues over 3+ year period. Experience in transitional leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize customer trends and market information into successful commercial strategies. Proven understanding of logistical, supply chain and production management functions to meet seasonal business targets.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or relevant discipline. MBA or relevant graduate degree desirable.
Skills and personal characteristics
- A strategic orientation with the ability to apply a solid grasp of business management principles and act opportunistically, in the context of the Company’s structure and business.
- A proven, results-oriented leader with drive, initiative, and management style that aligns with the Company’s core values and culture. Ability to drive impact while working in a collaborative, transparent, and often non-confrontational environment.
- Skilled in attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining talented managers and employees at all organizational levels who will succeed and achieve ambitious targets.
- Financially-savvy, resourceful leader with ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide team. Demonstrated strong analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving skills.
- A “roll up your sleeves” strategic-doer with strong interpersonal skills that are equally effective in a boardroom and customer meeting and in the nursery. Skilled at quickly developing relationships and generating trust with all stakeholders.
- A personality and manner that portrays confidence, assertiveness, initiative, sound judgment, and a straightforward tenor to interpersonal relationships.
- A high level of integrity, flexibility, tenacity, and physical/intellectual energy. Excellent communication skills.
Sectors: Biotech Position: Head of Genetics Search #: kr-1481
Our client is a highly integrated and self-contained customer-facing unit serving the independent seed companies in the US and Canada. They draw on the science and product technology of a global organization. As one of the best success stories in history, they have a gross profit impact above $100 million, employ about 40 people, and are located in the Minneapolis, Minnesota metro area. Given the licensing business model, the substantial majority of gross profit is derived from out-licensing traits. A key to success that impacts the global organization is its sourcing of new genetics for in-licensing and trait introgression.
The competitive portfolio focuses on corn, soybean, and wheat genetics, and features market-leading corn traits and seed products.
The purpose of this role is to leverage the existing technical and commercial foundation to double gross profit by 2020 through strategic thought leadership and customer-centric commercial drive. As a member of the Seeds leadership team, this role is pivotal in contributing to set direction through its closeness to early stage technology as well as market adoption of new genetics and traits offerings.
Oversee the operations of the traits and genetics licensing business with respect to marketing and execution of sales, and deliver the financial targets. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design and implement the long-term growth plan, 5-year plan, and strategy
- Accomplish financial results agreed within the annual crop planning cycle; meet milestones
- Establish the company as reliable, preferred technology provider to independent seed companies through out-licensing of genetics, facilitation of trait licenses, and customer-focused business practices
- Identify and pursue opportunities within the business model that align with the a strategy to further the growth and profitability in North America
- Identify resource needs with supporting business cases
- Deliver operational excellence model, and structure the organization to maximize strategic relationships.
- Manage overall operations, financial performance, legal compliance, and business result
- Actively participate in Corn and Soybeans Operating Units, U.S. Seeds Operating Committee, and other key regional governance bodies / boards
We seek a technologically savvy commercial leader with deep experience in the seeds or related biotech industry, who can successfully blend entrepreneurial drive with the intricacies of a larger organization’s matrix.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in general business management at an executive level
- Strong knowledge and experience in either a seeds or licensing business at an executive level
- Successful implementation of licensing and partnership agreements
- Track record of managing and complying with contractual agreements
- Maintained compliance with internal and external regulations
- Set or refined distribution channel strategies
- Evaluated and implemented selective out-sourcing of activities
Opportunity to lead regulatory, scientific and international affairs for an important industry association
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: VP Regulatory, Scientific & International Affairs Search #: kr-1473
The company represents producers of animal health products in the United States. Since its inception in 1941, the company has helped create an environment that fosters robust research and development of veterinary medical innovation. Its members develop and produce the medicines that help our pets live longer, lead healthier lives, and contribute to safe food by keeping food animals healthy. Its members make medicines that are approved by regulatory agencies, including the FDA (pharmaceuticals), the USDA (biologics/vaccines) and the EPA (insecticides/flea and tick).
The purpose of this role is to:
- Lead the company’s internally- and externally-facing regulatory and scientific affairs activities.
- Develop, implement, and manage effective regulatory and scientific policy strategies in support of the company’s policy objectives and priorities.
- Provide expert support, guidance, and thought-leadership to the company’s members for the regulatory and scientific issues which affect the ability of the company members to safely, efficiently, and productively protect and improve the health of animals and the humans with whom animals interface.
Experience required or desired
- 10 + years of experience leading regulatory and scientific initiatives in relevant animal or human health industries.
- A track record of success influencing and navigating regulatory agencies, including the FDA (pharmaceuticals), the USDA (biologics/vaccines) and the EPA (insecticides/flea and tick).
- Seasoned leadership capabilities with demonstrated experience developing and implementing regulatory and scientific affairs strategies.
- Results orientated with the ability to develop and implement strategic vision and influence strategic direction and business outcomes of member organizations and the industry.
- Demonstrated success in producing results through influence rather than direct team leadership.
Sectors: Equipment Position: Vice President, North American Parts Search #: kr-1472
Harvesting in North American fields since the 1950’s, this company and its machines have a long and distinguished record as an innovator in the agricultural industry. With a unique combination of strength, efficiency, and performance in any crop condition, the company’s harvester is widely acclaimed as enabling farmers to make their operations more productive and profitable. In 2015, the company introduced a pioneering all-purpose tractor to North America.
Reporting to the President and General Manager – Sales, the Vice President – Parts will lead the execution of the strategic direction for the organization’s Parts Division through verification of existing market opportunities; the development of the local strategy and business plans; and setting the goals for parts in North America (U.S. and Canada). More specifically, the Vice President – Parts will:
- Oversee strategic direction for North America Parts Division and ensure the consistent achievement of parts sales and other financial goals through the implementation of defined processes. Develop and maintain operational parts policies within the company.
- Manage discretionary and/or financial budgets to achieve targeted parts sales through decision costing, inventory control management, margin realization and mid-term forecasting while supporting acceptable fill rate levels.
- Develop and manage overall parts budget as well as departmental operational budgets. Coordinate with internal service departments (Finance, Sales, Distribution Development, Operations, Supply Chain Management, IT, Quality, Marketing and HR) for appropriate support.
- Lead and direct Parts Department to ensure team is preforming required tasks for North America to include oversight of the parts warehouses, parts sales & marketing, parts procurement & inventory and technical support. Advocate for ongoing safety and security programs for the Parts Business Unit.
- Lead up to 55 non-exempt and exempt parts personnel to include warehouse and logistics technicians to marketing and parts sales support at the Columbus, Indiana (USA) and Regina, Saskatchewan (Canada) locations plus remote personnel. Plan people succession and resources in concert with HR.
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following experience, skills, and personal characteristics:
- Solid distribution background with 10+ years in progressive supply chain management responsibilities. SAP knowledge preferred. Prefer career experience in heavy equipment sector with similar distributor/dealer organization serving market with significant seasonal swings.
- International experience (preferably business dealings with European companies or multi-national companies) and an ag background and agriculture dealership knowledge are a plus. Good fit into the business culture.
- Extensive experience in the warehousing and inventory management and sales. Strong knowledge and understanding of distribution chains and freight logistics.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution, change management, contracting knowledge, and negotiation.
Strong financial background with extensive experience in budgeting and forecasting.
- Proven skills in direct marketing initiatives as well as public relations dealings with channel partners and end users.
- Senior management experience, tested problem solver and solid corporate communicator.
- Entrepreneurial savvy with a good mix in delegating and controlling. Excellent capability to praise, motivate, and lead an operations organization.
Sectors: Crop Production Position: General Counsel Search #: kr-1470
Our client is a 93-year-old entrepreneurial company focused on merchandising physical commodities. They are positioned to provide value through merchandising services, strategic assets, and investments. The client trades whole grains, feed ingredients, energy products, freight, and many other commodities within North America and internationally. They have grown into one of the nation’s premier physical trading companies because of its experience, relationships, and service.
The general counsel is responsible for leading the Company’s strategic and tactical legal initiatives. He/she provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, manages in-house legal staff (currently one lawyer and one paralegal), oversees international trade compliance functions and certain other compliance functions, oversees outside counsel’s handling of Company litigation and the internal document production requirements of regulators, third party subpoenas and law suit counterparties, as corporate Secretary is responsible for the Member Schedule that is the definitive source for the ownership of the Company’s Units and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The general counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions and in negotiating critical contracts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Preforms the functions of Corporate Secretary including, maintaining the Minutes of Board of Managers (“BOM”) meetings, maintaining and certifying when needed the Resolutions of the BOM, certifying ownership of Company Units as needed by Members
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, as well as for the Company’s 24 different profit centers
- Oversees outside counsel that assisting in corporate matters, as well as counsel handling litigation filed against or on behalf of the company, works with such counsel and the appropriate Company executives to define a strategic defense, judges the merits of the cases and recommends settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations including CFTC, OSHA, EPA, EEOC, Food Safety, etc.
- Serves as the Company’s International Trade Compliance Officer responsible for overseeing the process of applying the Company’s International Trade Compliance Policy, international counterparty searches, and oversight of international subsidiaries’ compliance with U.S. trade laws.
- Structures and manages the company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Oversees and reviews the drafting of key Company Policies such as Safety Policy Manuel, Employee Handbook, International Trade Policy, Risk Management Policy, Merchandising Policy.
- Oversees and reviews drafting of key BOM Committee Charters including the Risk Management Committee Charter, the Audit and Finance Committee Charter and the Compensation Committee Charter
We seek a proven, high potential, high energy, collaborative and competitive legal professional with a track record of academic achievement and professional success leading legal teams and prepared to act as a partner to the CEO and other members of the senior management team.
The successful candidate will have most or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Minimum of ten years’ experience as a practicing corporate lawyer, preferably initially with a large local, prominent regional or national law firm before moving to an in-house position.
- Broad, overview experience in corporate matters, including corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, securities, corporate finance, real estate, environmental, employment, employee benefits and government regulation.
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: corporate organization and governance, limited liability company acts, commercial contracts, securities, stock or asset purchase agreements, joint ventures, international transactions, and foreign subsidiaries.
- Experience dealing with a broad range of Federal and State regulatory agencies such as CFTC, OSHA, EPA, EEOC and OFAC.
- Preferably a history of experience in a complex, high-paced trading environment of physical commodities.
- In-depth knowledge of trading and supporting operations
- Basic understanding of corporate financial statements, especially with marked to market accounting
- Intellectual capacity to be able to quickly compare and assess risks coupled with a decisive mindset
- A collaborative and team-oriented competitive spirit
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Current license in good standing to practice law
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: COO Search #: kr-1462
This is an opportunity to shape the responsibilities of this new position with the leadership team in a privately-held organization with over 2,000 employees and 15 manufacturing facilities. Following 67 years of successes and with substantial growth, particularly over the past 15 years, the company recognizes the need for succession planning and this role is critical to that process. Through well-established core competencies in the recovery, rendering and recycling of animal by-products, our client sets the standard in creating renewable resources for the development of quality livestock, poultry and pet feed ingredients and major feedstock supplier for global biofuel producers.
Specific responsibilities include:
The COO will work collaboratively to evaluate company operations and work with senior leaders to develop and implement a plan for upgrading and modernizing the business’ systems and processes:
Deliver the highest quality product at the lowest possible cost:
- Set the overall direction on the distribution and processing of the company’s raw material supplies to maximize gross margin and operating profit;
- Establish, measure, track and ensure adherence to key performance indicators to meet or exceed expectations;
- Define company-wide operating standards and ensure adherence to them to achieve consistency across key functional areas including administration, sales & marketing, manufacturing operations, environmental and quality;
- Develop and implement business plans with finance, marketing, procurement and operations management;
- Build deep functional expertise across the operating platforms and optimize assets in order to collect and process available and expected raw material supplies;
- Develop and implement the business strategy and customer relationships.
Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated consensus building skills and experience in Operations, Commercial (sales, marketing or BD roles) and/or Logistics, ideally from meat or food sectors. Top candidates may have worked in a much larger organization and be disenchanted with bureaucracy and politics resulting in a desire to take on the challenges of a growth- focused company.
Experience & Skills
- Strong track record of success developing a strategic operational vision and translating these into actionable strategies and performance;
- Proven experience managing multiple operations with assets (both physical and people) across multiple states and/or regions;
- Significant experience establishing and ensuring adherence to operating standards (e.g. quality) in a multiregulatory environment;
- Track record of success in developing and implementing best in class transportation and logistics systems and processes
- Experience leading regulatory compliance (environmental, worker and food/feed safety) in a multi-facility business
- Keen understanding of the talent needs for a business and the need to constantly develop new sourcing strategies;
- Familiar working in matrix structures in other large and complex multi-plant companies;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in food processing/manufacturing with at least 5 years in senior management roles is desirable. Strong preference for experience in food processing or pet food related industries, transportation and logistics;
- Ability to communicate to the Board of Directors how new initiatives and capital investment translate to EBITDA stability and growth;
Sectors: Equipment Position: VP Sales Search #: kr-1450
Our client has been involved in the manufacture and distribution of agricultural equipment for over 60 years. The sales and distribution network has grown from a regional company to a major international agribusiness and highway infrastructure firm with worldwide annual revenues of $560 million in fiscal 2015.
The purpose of this role is to provide leadership, coordination and improvement of all North American Irrigation processes that support sustainable growth, improve the knowledge of the sales team, and enhance the company’s position as a technology leader. A strategic doer with long term career broadening potential providing critical, additional bench strength to the management team is needed.
We expect this position will attract strong candidates because of the corporation’s excellent reputation and strong leadership position in the industry. Our client plays a key part in meeting the needs of a growing world population by increasing and stabilizing crop production while conserving water, energy and labor.
- Sales process effectiveness
- Market share measurement and improvement process
- Market, industry and intelligence process
- Sales training and distribution effectiveness
- Sales team budget and forecast effectiveness.
- Sales policy compliance effectiveness
The idea candidate will have certain essential skills but the differentiator will be a cultural fit with company core values. Candidates will be required to complete three assessments prior to an offer and those assessments, combined with the results of internal interviews will be utilized for determining an offer.
Experience & Skills
- 10+ years of direct sales or marketing experience with knowledge of competitive practices, training techniques, implementation tactics, and business management in the ag community
- Proven record of success in agricultural or equipment sales through a captive deal organization
- Demonstrated ability to grow market share through strategic analysis and planning
- Communicates issues proactively and develops alternative solutions
- Comfortably connects at all levels from farmers to the board
- Strong business acumen, decision-making and analytical skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong computer skills including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Manage by walking around…out with customers, dealers, farmers and sales base.
Sectors: Finance Position: Chief Investment Officer Search #: kr-1449
Flexible U.S. locations
With over $5 billion in AUM and AUA, our client is a leader in the origination and management of agricultural and timberland loans, farmland investments & agricultural portfolio management, as well as farm management and brokerage services. They are a division of a national full-service, commercial, multifamily housing, and agricultural mortgage finance business with a 135-year history of real estate finance and more than $80 billion in assets under management and administration.
We seek on their behalf an executive to join the leadership team of their Agricultural Investment Equity business.
The overall organization is organized into two groups comprised of Agricultural Equity and Agricultural Debt. Additionally, Capital Agricultural Property Services (CAPS) is the farm management arm of the Equity business.
The responsibilities of the CIO include:
- Setting strategic direction in the agricultural equity investment platform.
- Driving effort to raise new capital from third party clients for direct agricultural property investment.
- Managing business development in order to drive growth and meet or exceed ambitious business goals.
- Overseeing all aspects of the equity portfolio management for client portfolios including asset allocation, acquisition and dispositions, and portfolio performance.
- Developing and cultivating high quality relationships with new prospects, while maintaining and building enduring relationships with existing clients in the agricultural sector.
- Championing the company’s talent management principles in order to attract, develop, and retain the highest caliber professionals in the industry.
The background of the successful candidate will include:
- A broad understanding of real estate investing and portfolio management with specific knowledge of U.S. agriculture, with an emphasis on structuring and underwriting complex agricultural transactions, along with strong interpersonal skills, credibility, and the ability to speak knowledgeably with institutional investors about agriculture and investment opportunities.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in agriculture, primarily in agricultural real estate and investment management with a solid grasp of investment strategy and financial analysis, agricultural operations and general knowledge of alternative asset classes and the investment management industry.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in business, finance, economics, agricultural economics or agronomy. A CFA designation and/or an advanced degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- Superior interpersonal, negotiation, written and verbal communication, presentation, and project management skills.
- Excellent research, analytical and quantitative skills to support decision making process.
- Unquestionable integrity.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: Global Genetics Lead Search #: kr-1448
Our client, the leading global animal health company is seeking a Global Genetics Lead to identify the most commercially appropriate size and scale of growth for this strategic business segment: it is an exciting opportunity for someone who is skilled at both the science of genetics and building businesses!
In 2008, the firm entered the genomic testing market through acquisitions, and today provides genomic testing tools and resources to its customers, allowing them to make more profitable breeding decisions and identify better animals earlier to reduce costly selection and breeding mistakes. Future strategic developments could include anything from broader technology applications, expansion of target livestock species, companion animals and aquaculture sectors and expansion into different key geographies.
Reporting to the EVP/Group President, Strategy, Commercial and Business Development, the Global Genetics Lead is responsible for all activities (research, development, sales, marketing and technical operations) related to operational success. This role will maximize the financial and strategic value of the company’s genetics business. Likewise, as the visible face of the company to senior executives of major breeder, commercial production, and research organizations, the Global Genetics Lead will create trust-based win-win relationships to position the firm as a “Partner of Choice” in the industry.
Critical to the role is the understanding of the genetics/genomics space and the ability to demonstrate advanced strategic insights concerning the commercial growth of the genomics business which will include testing and perhaps expansion into other technologies and global regions. Internally, the Global Genetics Lead will collaborate with and influence commercial leaders, supporting global functions and R&D to develop and grow this important business. His/her background will also include:
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience and track record of accomplishments in the genetics industry.
- Balanced experience in general management including strategic planning, marketing, business and market development, research and product development, sales and customer relations along with a solid understanding of the science of genetics.
- Track record of leading teams of high performing professionals.
- College degree required in genetics, animal science, crop science or related discipline. Master’s or PhD and complementary business training highly preferred.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: Director -- Research, Quality, and Innovation Search #: kr-1439
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit the Director– Research, Quality & Innovation for a long-established and leading blender of vitamins, trace minerals, and drug components for the animal feed industry. Combining these discrete ingredients led the Company into the development of new techniques for blendability and formulation that resulted in expansion into the plant nutrition and food ingredients sectors. Today the firm provides product research, development and manufacturing to its clients worldwide.
Reporting to the VP/GM of the Agriculture Nutrition division, this position leads the creation of new products and the enhancement of current products that result in superior value for the company’s customers, and a competitive advantage, growth, and improved financial performance for company. Supported by a team of 5 professionals, this position plays a vital role as a member of the Agriculture Nutrition Division’s business leadership team, and oversees Product Development and Innovation, Research, Technical Services and Quality.
The successful candidate will have an accomplished technical background and be a thought leader to help lead the company’s agriculture nutrition division through the next stage of its growth phase. The background of qualified candidates includes:
- A minimum 6 years innovation, product development, or R&D experience in an animal or a plant nutrition company, of which at least 3 years in management positions.
- Experienced in working closely with other functional leaders and customers on new product development.
- A strong track record of success leading product and innovation strategy development & implementation in a comparable role in a similar sized animal/plant food ingredient business.
- Proven experience taking customer insights and developing them into commercially viable initiatives from concept through to launch.
- Successfully streamlined the innovation and product development processes, and improved time to market.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with the agility and ability to respond rapidly to new initiatives and developing situation.
- Ability to work at a strategic level, dealing with highly complex, non-routine scientific portfolio management challenges.
- PhD or equivalent advanced degree in Animal or Plant Science, Chemistry, or related Bio Science with a minor in Chemistry.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition Position: Chief Financial Officer Search #: kr-1437
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit the Chief Financial Officer for a U.S. based privately held company focused on pet food manufacturing. The successful candidate will have an accomplished financial background to help lead the company through the next stage of its growth phase. This executive will excel at developing and executing financial strategy, team and process development, and play a significant role as a member of the leadership team.
Our client is a contract manufacturer of all-natural, super premium pet food and treats to a select number of customers. The company prides itself on manufacturing to the highest levels of quality and food safety standards in the industry. IN addition to investing in their people, the company has continually invested in new manufacturing assets so it can meet the growing business needs and regulatory climate. Today the company’s revenues are approximately $250M with approximately 400 associates across four plants on three campuses.
In 2014, a highly regarded private equity firm, purchased a controlling interest in the company, and earlier this year the company announced a bolt-on acquisition which included a manufacturing plant located within driving distance of the firm’s main facility in Bern, KS.
The purpose of the CFO will be to provide financial leadership to the company and serve as a business partner to the President. The CFO will fill a broader role than traditional finance counterparts, with oversight of finance, administration, information technology, and insurance.
For this position, we seek an operationally focused finance leader with a track record of success in guiding the implementation of growth strategies. The CFO must understand and appreciate the hands-on nature of the company’s business and be ready take on new challenges as needed. His/her background will include the following:
- At least 10 years’ experience at the senior financial level, particularly including the control function and with substantial management and operational exposure, at a medium or large size organization with multiple locations.
- Food processing /manufacturing industry knowledge would be an asset.
- Prior experience with private equity ownership would be helpful.
- Prior experience in M&A with pre and post integration.
- Experience in finance, accounting, tax, financial reporting and analysis, budgeting, information technology, cash management, forecasting and the preparation of related monthly, quarterly and annual reports and statements and their filing and presentation.
- Experience managing the components of finance, accounting, treasury, information technology, and customer service functions.
- Bank reporting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting. An MBA in finance or the equivalent is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant credentials or the equivalent is preferred.
Vice President, Research and Production opportunity at important vegetable, flower, and herb seed company
Sectors: Horticulture, R&D, Seed Position: Vice President, Research & Production Search #: kr-1435
Our client is known for supplying superior seeds, tools, information, and service to mixed market growers and avid home gardeners. The company’s research is focused on finding or breeding outstanding varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, and herbs, and on thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. They have retained Kincannon & Reed to help recruit a Vice President Research and Production who will direct all aspects of the organization’s research, trailing, product development, and seed production programs and be responsible for bringing to market new and innovative seed varieties for their flower, herb, and vegetable product lines.
The company is a growing, employee-owned seed firm, dedicated to supplying the highest level of customer service, products, and product knowledge to their customer base of commercial mixed-market growers and avid home gardener customers. They have an inspiring story, strong brand awareness, and a unique market position that is highly attractive to customers who are attracted to the superior quality niche products it provides. These customers are served directly through a catalog and web-based go-to-market strategy.
We seek, on their behalf, a dynamic leader that will manage all aspects of the organization’s research and production strategy, objectives, initiatives, and policies and is able to bring to market new, differentiating, and innovative seed varieties for their flower, herb, and vegetable product lines. The successful candidate’s background will include:
- Success in innovating new varieties and taking them to market within the vegetable seed industry.
- Vegetable seed industry/product line management experience.
- Management of vegetable trialing and breeding.
- Coaching a team of creative product managers, breeders, technicians, and farm and production staff.
- An understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for the challenges and opportunities involved in decentralized production by direct-market farmers and avid home gardeners.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition, Biotech Position: kr-1434 Search #: kr-1434
Head business development and sales for a global plant genetics improvement company
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to help recruit the Head of Global Business Development and Sales for a US-based provider of genetic and breeding services for field crops and vegetables.
One division of the company provides genetic and breeding services to seed and food companies worldwide through the application of its highly-developed portfolio of genomics-based breeding algorithms and methodologies. A second division is dedicated to improvement, propagation, and sales of key tropical perennial species, producing cash and specialty crops such as coffee, banana, cacao, tea, oil palm and rubber. This role will work to combine and realize the potential of both divisions across all markets.
We seek a results-driven executive who has excellent strategic thinking skills along with global plant science industry experience, a strong team-oriented attitude, and a business builder’s perspective, thought process, and execution capability. The winning candidate will have a “roll-up-your-sleeves,” dynamic management style, and strong interpersonal skills that are equally effective from the grower to boardroom level.
In addition, he/she will possess the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- An entrepreneurial vision and drive. A proven track record of developing and implementing a successful business plans and development strategy, including initiating and successfully managing value-creating and capturing partnerships.
- At least five years of applicable corporate experience, preferably in large and small technology-driven firms
- Outstanding active listening and communication skills. The ability to visualize, understand, explain, and sell, at a senior executive level, what the company and its technologies can bring all along different agro-industrial value chains and technology sources.
- A personality and manner that demonstrates confidence, assertiveness, initiative, judgment, and a straightforward tenor to interpersonal relationships, and the ability to quickly develop relationships and generate trust with all stakeholders ranging from potential investors, owners and employees to partners.
- Strong senior leadership skills that include teamwork, negotiation, collaboration, influencing, conflict management, and cooperation across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage strategic priorities for developing a whole new industry in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- A high level of integrity, physical and intellectual energy, and a “never-give-up” tenacity.
- An advanced preferred, a bachelor degree required in life sciences, agriculture, plant science, agronomy, business, or a related discipline
Sectors: Horticulture, R&D, Seed Position: Chief Technology Officer Search #: kr-1432
Our client, a leader in all facets of horticulture and its global family of businesses has a strong presence on six continents in 18 countries, has committed to a long-term and significant investment in new breeding technologies and capacities to develop innovative and differentiating ornamental varieties. We seek on their behalf a Chief Technology Officer to ensure that the company maintains its leadership position.
The Chief Technology Officer will lead and champion the direction of research strategies, combined with the implementation of technologies and tools, to maximize development of advanced products for markets around the world. Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will be a key member of the executive committee team and will not only guide the development and implementation of strategies in research, but also have the opportunity to grow and build an advanced technology team, including the design of new research facilities.
The successful candidate’s background and experience will include:
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience in plant research and development functions, including significant work in advanced plant biotechnology.
- Minimum 8 years of direct management experience of other professional research personnel, with a track record of staff development.
- Proven business acumen, including demonstrated capabilities in identifying and acting on research investments that add financial growth opportunities for an enterprise.
- Strong decision-making, communication (written and verbal), conflict resolution, presentation and objective-setting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, meet mutual goals and attain desired results in a dynamic organizational environment.
- Established motivational leadership profile that fosters productivity and high-quality work in a research and development environment
- Ph.D. in plant genetics/breeding, plant biology, molecular biology, chemistry or agricultural sciences.
Sectors: Equipment, Farming, Precision Agriculture, Services Position: Vice President, Business Development Search #: kr-1423
In the $1.5B precision agricultural market which is expected to grow 148% by 2017, our client delivers precision technology to examine crop status and health for increased productivity and profits. Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit a Vice President, Business Development, based in San Jose, California.
The company produces drones that use infrared technology and delivers customized precision agriculture solutions for large corporate clients to address the huge need in the agriculture sector to incorporate technologies from the digital age, communications, and the military to boost production. The company has established relationships, novel technology, financial backing from highly-reputable industry players, a growing market opportunity, and strong executive and technical leaders.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Business Development will leverage the Company’s unique technologies and refine their applications for value-capture from agricultural markets. This executive will lead the sales of the Company’s products and services and to work with others on the team to achieve company operating objectives. He/she will be responsible for developing and growing revenue through initiating and building strategic partnerships fitting the Company’s growth objectives.
The ideal candidate is a results-oriented, dynamic, and innovative business developer with success in selling software and technology services, preferably with extensive experience in the agricultural sector. He/she understands the importance of a clear vision and focused mission with measurable outcomes. This executive will have a demonstrated ability to break down broad goals into achievable milestones with associated action plans and deliverables, to anticipate and solve problems, and to take advantage of market opportunities. His/her qualifications will include:
- Strong rolodex and networking abilities in the agribusiness sector. 10+ years selling software preferred.
- Demonstrated skills as a strong business-builder with excellent financial acumen. Successful record of developing data-driven strategic plans and building innovative plans that help a company grow and achieve progressively sustainable results. Early- or growth-stage company experienced preferred.
- Proven ability to collaborate and partner with senior executives (e.g., CEO, executive leadership team) and key stakeholders to drive market expansion efforts. Ability to access customer needs and translate them to the CEO and technical team.
- Solid technical background with emphasis on data analytics. BA or BAA required and ten years of experience in sales, marketing, and/or business development.
Sectors: Farming, International Development, Seed Position: Executive Director Search #: kr-1414
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to help recruit the Executive Director for one of the world’s most important Agricultural Foundations dedicated to improve food security and modernize smallholder farming. The current leader of the organization will be moving on to other opportunities in 2017, so we seek a successor to build upon the already-successful platform that has been established. His adagium is, “There are better ways”, and the Foundation is determined to identify, develop, and implement them.
Established in 2001, the Foundation is an incubator of technologies and services for smallholder farmers in emerging markets and developing countries. Working in partnership with others, the Foundation identifies and develops scalable solutions for farmers, tests them, and fosters their progression to the market under ambitious impact frameworks in crop improvement research, seed systems development, mechanization, agricultural insurance and finance, data management and IT, farmer-empowering links to supply chains and markets, and other elements of producer and farm sector support.
The purpose of the Executive Director is to lead the program and team to ever-greater levels of influence and results, provide strategic guidance, and serve as the senior spokesperson for both the Foundation and the conceptual and operational approach to agricultural development and growth it espouses.
We seek a person with exceptional executive presence and the leadership and entrepreneurial skills to take the Foundation to its next level of impact, influence, and recognition amongst international and national decision-makers, stakeholders, and peers.
The successful candidate will be a persuasive motivator, superior communicator, strategic thinker, and doer who can provide for thoughtful, adaptable continuity and new, soundly managed processes of innovation and change.
S/he will have a demonstrated commitment and a record of exceptional leadership, influence, and achievement in the field of agriculture, natural resource management, and sustainability in the private or public sector with a focus on agricultural transformation and development of the rural space.
Sectors: Biofuel Position: Product Stewardship & Regulatory Director Search #: kr-1409
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit an executive – Product Stewardship & Regulatory Director – to play a critical role in accelerating the commercialization of world-changing biobased solutions to meet the needs of a growing population while protecting our environment.
Our client is the industrial biosciences division of a leading global science company with $36 billion in annual revenues operating from 19 sites around the world. Their Biomaterials and Biorefineries segments address markets such as animal nutrition, food, detergents, textiles, personal care, and biofuels.
As a member of the Industrial Biosciences product safety and regulatory leadership team and reporting to the Senior Director, Product Stewardship & Regulatory, this new manager will translate established goals into regulatory strategy. Paying attention to the regulatory landscape and the evolving science, this position will identify and communicate changes in policy, and coordinate resulting compliance needs. Through continuous evaluation of the new practices and policy, this individual will influence both internal and external policy regarding the development of new products.
For this high-impact role, we seek a results-oriented, resourceful, and creative leader with experience in managing product development, and strong ability in organizational communication and team management. This regulatory leader will have had significant past experience of biotechnology submissions and significant influence on policy, success in supporting product launches, and management of a safety & regulatory team. This individual should further have excellent communication skills in order to convey ideas in a detailed but concise manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to translate corporate goals into an individualized strategic plan for his or her business area of responsibility and to implement a global regulatory strategy within an employee-driven culture.
- Understanding of and experience in enhancing the effectiveness of regulatory management with insight into business needs, competitors, and impending legislative changes through continuous assessment of the regulatory landscape and changes in the company’s science competencies.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge in interpreting regulations, guidelines, stewardship principles, and technical areas applicable to industrial bioscience products and regulatory scientific methods.
- Demonstrated regulatory expertise in both strategy and practice through an understanding of developing and implementing strategies to clear products with global regulatory teams and product development teams.
- A Master’s degree or PhD in a scientific discipline or equivalent with 15 or more years of experience.
Sectors: Farming, Produce Position: Chief Financial Officer Search #: kr-1408
Our client is one of the top five table grape producer/packer/shippers in the U.S. The company serves customers in North America, Asia, Australasia, Middle-East and Europe, and with imports grapes from Mexico, Chile and Peru is gaining the ability to provide product to retailers 365 days a year.
Continued growth will come from organic growth; expansion of international supply chain; acquisitions; and by being a consistent, reliable solution to the retailer. The company needs a transcendent CFO who will set a strategic financial direction as the company continues to expand both domestically and internationally, thus requiring an understanding of each country’s market dynamics, accounting and financial protocols, and cultures.
Given this multifaceted growth strategy the ideal candidate will have the ability to implement strong fiduciary and financial controls along with building finance and accounting teams in multiple countries.
As a member of the senior management team s/he will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities of the organization, in conjunction with the board of directors and the Chief Financial Officer of the owner. The CFO will have management responsibility for the accounting; audit; financial reporting, analysis and governance; information technology; and risk management functions of the company.
The ideal candidate will possess the diverse and unique skill sets required to manage the functional area of responsibility for the position, along with fluency in Spanish and significant experience functioning as a CFO within a business either based or operating in Mexico, Peru and/or Chile. Additional qualifications of the successful candidate will include:
- A master’s degree in finance or accounting or an undergraduate degree in accounting with a CPA license.
- At least ten years of experience in a senior level finance and accounting position, with experience in agribusiness and the agricultural growing/processing/distribution sector being a plus. Experience in the fresh produce sector will be a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost control, risk management, and corporate governance principles.
- Experience doing business in U.S., Mexico, Peru and/or Chile.
- Solid experience in business and asset integration processes and activities.
Sectors: Farming Position: Chief Financial Officer Search #: kr-1407
Our client, an international grower of high value export crops, seeks a CFO to lead their financial needs and be a trusted cross-border financial bridge between Peru/Chile and sophisticated investors in the USA.
The company is a Los Angeles-based agribusiness investing in and developing farms on existing land on the northern coast of Peru, primarily for the export of high value fruits and vegetables to the Northern Hemisphere where shortages exist during counter-seasonal periods during the year. Production includes table grapes, blueberries, peppers, asparagus, and pima cotton.
On their behalf, we seek an internationally experienced and accomplished cross border financial executive with a blend of accounting, finance, analytical, strategic, operational, and oral and written communication skills, who has significant experience managing all aspects of financial leadership, management, and reporting in a private company environment.
- Work with the Chairman/CEO and executive management team on the strategic vision and operational plans, with lead responsibility for those elements related to financial planning, execution, and reporting.
- Execute fundraising plans, potentially including but not limited to: debt transactions, spin-outs, series capital raises, public capital raises/IPO, and M&A.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization. Oversee the production of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and financial statements and cash flow projections.
- Lead preparation and communication of any internal and external financial information.
The role reports to the Chairman and CEO and is located in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Extensive travel is required, both domestic and international (Peru). The successful candidate’s background will include:
- A minimum of 15 years of broad-based international financial and business experience with an excellent track record of achievement in a CFO (or equivalent) role in a high growth company that markets its products internationally, ideally in agricultural sectors.
- Clearly demonstrated strong working knowledge and management track record in all aspects of private company financial reporting and compliance requirements.
- Successful history of working effectively with audit committees and outside auditors in a private company environment.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial high growth environment, with the competencies to scale a business, and make prudent strategic and tactical investment decisions.
- Experience taking a business/company through multiple phases of its life cycle, including start-up, organic growth, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Experience in production and marketing of permanent crops, with an emphasis in blueberries and grapes, in and outside the U.S.
- Fluency in the English and Spanish languages.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree (highly desired). CPA certification is highly desirable.
Sectors: Animal Health & Nutrition, Crop Protection Position: Regional Sales Manager Search #: kr-1404
This opportunity is for a resourceful and high achieving agricultural sales manager in the Midwest, who excels in driving sales up in a small team environment of a large family owned international business.
Our client is a multi-billion dollar family owned company with a history spanning over 115 years and is one of the world’s major chemical marketing enterprises with more than 100 branches and sales offices in over 30 countries. Its specific local knowledge guarantees access to the major markets worldwide.
The position is responsible for managing all aspects of the sales function for agro-chemical products in the multi-state region, executing the sales plan to fulfill the revenue growth goals of the company. He or she is also responsible for maximizing sales volume of the product portfolio, as well as managing the relationships with the retail and wholesale companies in the region while implementing sales policies, objectives, and initiatives.
The role reports to the president of the US division and is supported by a Business Development / Marketing Lead, a Supply Chain and Production Manager as well as the company’s Customer Service department. The post is preferably located within the territory, working from home. Travel requirements in the territory are significant given the sales role. In addition, attendance of sales meetings across the U.S. requires domestic travel.
We seek a results oriented crop protection sales manager and sales team member, who can not only execute a compelling commercial plan, but also inspire peers and customers to buy into it. The successful candidate’s background will include:
- 10+ years of sales experience with a track record of profitable top and bottom line growth in a contested market segment
- Demonstrated success with post patent product portfolio
- Work history in the agricultural chemical or related agriculture sector
- Previous account management working with distributors, retailers, agricultural consultants, and key growers to accomplish regional objectives required
Sectors: Equipment Position: Head, Latin America Search #: kr-1371
Our client provides a complete line of poultry and swine production equipment around the world and leads the industry in the design and production of products geared towards your current and future needs. They have retained Kincannon & Reed to help recruit a new Head of Latin America. Based in the USA, this executive will develop, lead, and implement the organization’s strategic and operational goals to ensure its future growth, continued success, and long-term viability.
The company’s product lines offer practical, economical, and environmentally-friendly solutions for the poultry and swine industries which include; broiler, broiler breeder, turkeys, parent stock systems for egg production, rearing equipment, layer equipment, sow farm equipment, piglet rearing equipment, finishing equipment, and air cleaning solutions. From its poultry, pig and egg production systems, to tightly integrated automatic controls, it continues to set standards for efficiency, productivity and reliability.
The Head of Latin America is responsible for all activities and business in the region. Working closely with corporate senior leadership and organizational functions (sales, operations, etc.) this position will drive increased market share (currently 15-20% across the region), profitability, and expansion in Latin America.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on seasoned business performance driver who has the ability to lead a dispersed staff, understand cultural/regional complexities, and grow an organization. He/she will be able to support sales and operational initiatives through strategic thinking, pricing acumen and becoming a trusted adviser representing the company. The ideal candidate’s background will include:
- Solid track record in a senior leadership capacity in the agricultural equipment or related industries
- Previous responsibility for full P&L at medium to large business unit level
- Strategy development and overseeing successful execution of building and growing business in Latin America
- Proven ability to understand, interface, and work with livestock producers
- Understanding of animal nutrition, animal husbandry and/or agricultural equipment related to poultry and swine.
- Strong knowledge of Latin American markets, particularly (but not exclusive to) Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, and
- Bachelor’s degree minimum; with an advanced degree preferred. Animal nutrition or other agricultural