A unique opportunity for a CFO in an agricultural land fund
Our client is a Regina based private company providing management services to the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB). In addition to the land it currently manages in Western Canada, the firm will be the investment manager for all agricultural land acquisitions on behalf of CPPIB globally. With the expansion of the client’s mandate from regional to global, a CFO is required to take on the extensive due diligence required for potential acquisitions while at the same time meeting the enhanced financial reporting obligations required by CPPIB.
The firm currently manages a portfolio valued at ~$265 million which includes $235 million in Saskatchewan representing 165,000 acres and approximately $30 million in Alberta representing 10,000 acres. The revised investment strategy is to opportunistically grow the portfolio efficiently under a single global platform, with an investment focus on large, capital intensive and higher returning opportunities where the firm holds competitive advantages. They will consider new opportunities located in countries with agricultural markets and in deals with solid local tenants/operators who might continue farming the land post-acquisition.
The overall purpose of the position is twofold: to lead the due diligence and analysis on potential land acquisitions; and to oversee the financial accounting and reporting function for the farmland portfolio. As a member of the leadership team, the successful candidate will be expected to understand and embrace the “jack-of-all-trades” characteristic and possess a strong sense of teamwork to fit within this small entrepreneurial company.
- Lead the due diligence for potential acquisitions;
- Confirm appropriate legal contracts, asset encumbrances, titles, surveys, environmental certifications, background checks on related parties, etc.;
- Prepare background documentation and coordinate the preparation of legal documentation for deal and lease execution;
- Oversee all accounting, internal controls, reporting and other financial management responsibilities including regulatory, tax and compliance for the farmland portfolio;
- Assist the CEO with presentation of financial results and investment recommendations to the Board of Directors, Investment Committee and other owner representatives as required.
Other important parameters for this postion:
- Position reports to the CEO;
- The position is supported by a team of 1 direct report;
- The incumbent will be located in Regina, SK;\
- Travel may be extensive at times and will include international travel for deal due diligence;
- A comprehensive compensation package will be offered including base pay, short-term incentive and long-term incentive plan (via participation in carried interest program).
Our client seeks a candidate who has a broad proven track record in financial management and analysis ideally in an agricultural environment. There is some flexibility on the candidate requirements because we are seeking a candidate with a broad background and exposure to multiple functions: due diligence and financial analysis; financial reporting at a public company standard; and structuring commercial deals. The ideal candidate will possess some or a combination of the following skills and attributes:
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in accounting or finance supplemented with an appropriate professional designation or an acceptable combination of education and experience in a related field;
- An understanding of the agricultural industry acquired by upbringing, education and/or experience;
- Experience conducting due diligence and analysis of potential returns on mergers, acquisitions or business opportunities;
- Experience with legal structures, contracts and required documentation for acquisitions;
- Demonstrated experience in a financial management-level role, preferably in agriculture although candidates from the real estate sector who demonstrate an understanding of the agricultural sector will also be considered;
- Experience reporting financial results in a corporate environment and/or to institutional investors.
Knowledge and Expertise
- Up-to-date technical expertise in financial accounting and reporting requirements;
- Understanding of standards for public-company level reporting;
- Thorough knowledge of due diligence techniques, financial modelling, analytical practices and tools;
- Project and investment management skills and abilities;
- Knowledge of team leadership and management practices;
- A general understanding of the agricultural industry would be an asset.
Skills & Competencies
- Exceptional communications skills including the ability to communicate with people from the farm to the boardroom;
- Strong affinity for a small team environment;
- An eagerness to learn and excel;
- An ability to roll-up the shirt sleeves and get involved with the team;
- Capable of a high degree of loyalty to the organization, its mission and colleagues;
- A strong work ethic and results orientation.
Exciting opportunity to join the Board of a major diversified food and agriculture business in Australia
A major diversified food and agriculture business in Australia has retained Kincannon & Reed to identify candidates to join its Board of Directors as a Non-Executive Director.
About the company
The Company serves customers and suppliers both domestically and internationally, especially in Singapore, China and Hong Kong. It mainly produces fresh pork, protein meal and tallow , and live lobsters and abalone, to be sold into retail, food service and trade/ wholesale sectors.
Following the completion of a transaction in November 2017, the Company now also operates in the sheep meat and beef industries as well.
The Company has grown significantly over the past decade, with 8 of the last 11 operating profit results creating new records. The Company employs approximately 650 people, mainly in Western Australia, Victoria and Tasmania. Since its establishment, it has operated continuously under a family ownership structure with the business being professionally and independently managed. They understand the value of strong familial ties, and have a strong corporate and ethical culture, which values its employees, promotes leadership, teamwork and responsibility. It is an industry leader in OH &S and community engagement. Corporate governance standards and policies are in good order.
The Company is intentionally a portfolio business within its skills in food and agribusiness and seeks to add to its portfolio to maintain a consistent group earnings stream. They have deliberately kept a low public profile, as it does not seek to attract funds or equity. It is a strong, growing business without any “burning platform”, and seeks to attract new directors as part of normal succession planning.
The group is looking to recruit at least one, possibly two new Non-Executive Directors in the first half of 2018. The primary focus will be on individuals with significant experience in the food/meat/agriculture sector with an understanding of food (especially meat) supply chains and especially meat processing.
Qualifications & Experience
- Significant experience in the food/meat/agriculture sector with preference in meat processing / supply chain management. Relevant skills in food processing and supply chain management in other sectors are also pertinent;
- Highly experienced in strategic marketing especially in FMCG or food, with an understanding of Asian markets;
- Previous Board experience is desirable, however significant experience as a senior executive reporting to a commercial Board will be acceptable;
- Prepared to commit time to gain an understanding of the businesses of the Company, and to attend meetings in Western Australia, and to contribute advice between meetings;
- An understanding of product and process innovation;
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship skills;
- A strong, international perspective and an appreciation for diversity of thought in the Boardroom;
- Demonstrated commercial and financial acumen to ensure the assimilation of all the information distributed to the Board and the ability to make a meaningful contribution to the business.
Leadership & Management Competencies
- Demonstrated skills in building competitive businesses;
- An understanding of the global and national competitive positions of our food sector, in order to guide strategic directions for the Company;
- Anticipate and address compliance, corporate governance and risk management issues on behalf of shareholders and stakeholders generally.
- A mature professional possessing judgement, a disciplined approach, strong professional standards and, above all, a high level of personal credibility and integrity;
- Well-developed commercial perspectives and general business experience to be resilient and focused when required;
- Unquestionable business ethics and an adherence to high moral and ethical standards as demonstrated by integrity in previous Non-Executive Director roles or executive positions.
World class supply chain management company seeks strategic procurement executive
Serving a network of over 17,000 restaurants and 1000 franchisees, our Client is a purchasing cooperative managing a ~$6B spend for quick-serve restaurants. Their continued success and rapid growth has created the need to take its supply chain capabilities to the next level, and they have retained Kincannon & Reed to identify candidates of the position of Director, Beef Procurement.
About the company
The Company is the largest purchasing cooperative in the quick-service restaurant industry. They are the exclusive supply chain management organization for three restaurant systems and they also manage the supply chain for an additional restaurant system through specific purchasing agreements. With world-class buying expertise, supplier-relationship management and evolving strategic processes, the Company negotiates pricing for over 22,000 products including food, packaging, and equipment items in support of multiple restaurant brands.
About the position
The Director, Beef Procurement is an integral member of one of the three restaurant systems’ leadership teams and is also responsible for the Company’s procurement activities for all red meat-based food items, managing all aspects for the three restaurant systems. This role is accountable for ongoing category leadership to include: supplier development, risk management, price forecasts, sustainable strategic sourcing, and category optimization. Role requires building and enhancing strong supplier partnerships to deliver performance excellence. Total spend managed:$690MM
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement category strategies that maintain a competitive advantage, and deliver the best supply chain total-cost scenario;
- Lead strategic sourcing, contract negotiate and sourcing agreements with suppliers to secure. competitive price levels that maintain the food safety and quality standards required;
- Have strong financial acumen and P&L management, budget, ROI, asset investment. and margin;
- Exhibit strong knowledge in planning, forecasting, best practices, and best in class management;
- Lead and manage the purchasing team based in the location hub consisting of Red Meat and Produce related items. Meet all Cost of Goods Targets for Products managed;
- Coach and develop all purchasing staff for higher responsibilities within the Company;
- Partner with and support Program Management to ensure supply at all times;
- Develop strategic knowledge of Beef and Produce related procurement;
- Build relationships with the restaurant system – Finance, FSQA, and the Food Innovation Team to support development of all products for the restaurant system. Assist with vendor selection and strategic negotiations;
- Assist with the enforcement of Food Safety and quality related programs at the restaurant system;
- Provide strategic leadership for executable cost saving initiatives for all supported brand concepts;
- Build relationships with all suppliers for products managed. Develop strategic relationships with suppliers of critical items to the restaurant system, and invest time and energy in maintaining those relationships
- Forge relationships with distributors to help work through Supply and Distribution opportunities;
- Support all concept distributors for all concepts managed;
- Collaboratively work with the Company’s Risk Management team to develop, implement, measure and improve risk management strategies for products managed;
- Develop strategic relationships with stakeholders to facilitate effective risk management strategies across all categories managed;
- Collaboratively work with the Company’s finance team to ensure all key reporting is accurate and timely;
- Be an active member of the restaurant system and hub location interview and select candidates for open positions within the hub;
- Establish goals and objectives for all direct reports in the areas of job function and career growth;
- Conduct well-prepared performance appraisals in a timely manner;
- Manage conflict to resolution based on in-depth evaluation of situation and utilizing sound management skills and techniques.
Other important parameters for this position include:
- Position reports to the Executive Vice President of the restaurant system’s Supply Chain;
- Percent travel estimated at 10-15%
Changes in world food supply, government legislation, natural disasters, and geopolitical trends are just a few key factors being managed in the Company’s highly effective supply chain. Supplier partnerships are critical in the delivery of food, packaging, and equipment to owner restaurants and as such, the Company develops and fosters innovative relationships with supplier and distributor partners.
- Required: 10 years’ experience in: Purchasing, Supply Chain, Finance, Operations, Program Management; past Leadership role with large restaurant concept or CPG company;
- Preferred: 10 years – General business experience Purchasing, Program Management, Logistics and/or Distribution, preferably in the Food Service Industry.
Skills and characteristics
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Proven record of establishing, building, and maintaining relationships ranging from manager to senior executive levels;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications – Word, Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook;
- Ability to collaborate with, influence, and build strong cross-functional stakeholder relationships;
- Strategic leadership within large business enterprise;
- Development and execution of presentations to senior level executives;
- Understanding of co-op and operation model within organization;
- Strong financial acumen and management of P&L, budget, ROI, asset investment and margin/profitability;
- Strong knowledge in planning, forecasting, best practices, and best in class management;
- Ability to develop and execute high level strategic strategy;
- Effective facilitator, influencer, and team builder;
- Work with employees to understand motivational needs on an individual basis;
- Role model the Company culture, World Class with Class (WC2).
- Required; Bachelor’s degree;
- Preferred: Masters or MBA.
COO opportunity with privately held, high value crop farming and processing company
Our client, located in California’s Central Valley has a stellar reputation and excellent operating capabilities in high value crops. The company has retained Kincannon & Reed to recruit a Chief Operating Officer to lead, plan and direct overall operating activities at all of the cdompanies subsidsidiarioes and operating divisions.
About the company
The company’s crops include almonds, processing tomatoes, pistachios, garlic , and more. Continual reinvestment in land, water infrastructure, and innovation has allowed the them to successfully expand their operations.
About the position
Reporting to the CEO and President, the Chief Operating Officer will have full P&L responsibility and will be accountable for managing all commercial, administrative, operational, and financial aspects of the businesses. S/he will be responsible for establishing the strategic direction, with input from the company’s executive leaders, implementing a tactical plan, resourcing the division with the highest caliber employees, and establishing a tone at the top of impeccable values and ethics plus operational and financial management.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead and manage three (3) senior executives at the Corporate office in Fresno and 3 senior exectives at the operating who supervise up to 600 employees in the Operations, Food Quality and Safety, Sanitation , Engineering and Maintenance;
- Lead the development and execution of comprehensive strategic operating plans and programs, both short and long range, to support production and to achieve the organization’s objectives;
- Overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of operating units in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable regulatory requirements;
- Timely and efficient production of quality products that meet the needs both of the growers and customers, plus direct investigation of production process deviations and appropriate corrective action;
- Measure progress through pack plans, production recaps, daily key metrics, department budgets, and other tools while ensuring continuous improvement processes are in place and effective;
- Develop and implement the necessary programs, procedures and processes to improve safety performance at all facilities;
- Work closely with senior executives of each company both to be prepared for and take advantage of new business opportunities and market demands;
- Understand production requirements and acquire additional production capacity as needed;
- Research, analyze, and monitor financial, technological, and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity;
- Work with company staff, consultants, and senior management to develop and submit annual budgets including the capital budget plus returns/impacts of past capital investments;
- Represent the company with regulatory agencies, at association meetings, industry events, and other related activities;
- Set objectives, monitor progress, coach, evaluate, and counsel employees as required. Prepare annual performance appraisals for direct reports and reviews indirect staff appraisals;
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of, but not limited to, managerial duties as may be required.
Other important parameters for this position include:
- The position is supported by a team of six (6) direct reports and total staff of over 600 employees;
- Overnight travel requirements at estimated at 5-10%l
- Fluency in English is required, and capacity in Spanish is greatly desired.
We seek an operationally- and financially-oriented all-rounder with a general management perspective and the capacity to grow into broader responsibilities. The ideal candidate for this role brings to the table a high level of operational and financial seasoning. She/he has excellent communication skills, both written and speaking, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. She/he will be passionate and excited about successfully driving year over year operational improvements and juggling multiple priorities. The successful candidate will have an accomplished commercial and operational background to lead the division through an ambitious growth phase. This executive will excel at team development, developing and executing strategy, and being financially savvy to achieve outstanding financial results.
Minimum of 15 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables;
- Skilled in attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining talented managers and employees at all organizational levels who will succeed and achieve ambitious targets;
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written, along with the ability to make formal presentations to a wide array of internal and external audiences;
- Skilled at quickly developing relationships and generating trust with all stakeholders.
- A collaborative, team-oriented, result-oriented personal style
- Unconditional integrity and commitment.
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; Master’s degree preferred
Opportunity for a General Counsel who is a strategic business leader
This is a rare opportunity for a General Counsel to become an integral part of a leadership team within privately-held farm and whose expertise, views, and opinions will be sought on a wide range of strategic business matters outside the strict parameters of the legal department. The right person will be an individual with solid corporate law expertise, a strong affinity for business management, and interpersonal skills that facilitate strong working relationships with a wide variety of people.
Family-owned with small-town values, this farm is a resilient, innovative company dedicated to economically producing shell eggs and egg products of exceptional quality while protecting animal health and welfare. As the second largest egg producer in the United States, they believe that providing quality eggs and egg products and being a leader in animal welfare go hand in hand. This farm is a United Egg Producer (UEP) certified company, so their husbandry practices conform to rigorous standards designed to provide a high standard of living for all birds.
This role would be supporting and working closely and seamlessly with the farms’ current General Counsel who is currently lowering his activity level and transitioning towards a reduced role in the future.
The General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. As a strong partner to the business and part of the executive committee of the company, he/she provides effective advice on company strategies, their implementation, and manages the legal function. The General Counsel is corporate counsel who will lead the legal and intellectual property (IP) functions for the Farm. He/she is directly involved in complex business transactions of negotiating critical contracts including numerous Joint Ventures.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Act as part of the leadership team for the business, finding win-win business and legal solutions to business problems while being a strong steward of the interests of shareholders and the company;
- Work in close collaboration with the Executive Team, Board of Directors, and Family Shareholders to partner in litigation defense and possible settlements options in a variety of class-action lawsuits;
- Provide leadership to continue developing a strong IP/trade secret/copyright/trademark portfolio through the refinement and execution of a world class IP strategy. The immediate opportunity is to support a new and growing company;
- Oversee the selection, retention, management, costs, and evaluation of all outside counsel and legal support;
- Be comfortable handling a large variety of types of strategic and tactical transactions, and operate in a fast-paced environment including but not limited to joint ventures, expansions, permitting, environmental, animal welfare, taxes, taxes, mergers, asset/business sales, and family stock;
- Negotiate, draft, and review all types of agreements;
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs;
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
Other important parameters for this position include:
- The successful candidate will be rewarded by a strong compensation package;
- Position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors and Family Owners; T
- ravel is estimated at 10-50%.
For this important position, the Company seeks an experienced legal professional with corporate and startup law practice experiences preferably in agriculture or other high tech/IP intensive industries. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, highly agile and adaptable to a rapidly changing landscape, with the ability to excel in a fast-moving, goal-oriented environment.
Qualifications and Education
- JD degree from an accredited law school and admission to practice law;
- 5-10+ years of in-house and/or law firm experience;
- Strong knowledge of and experience in both litigation and patent law;
- Significant licensing transactions track record, with a strong preference for food-related experiences;
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact directly with internal and external stakeholders at various levels and across different functions of the organization(s);
- Excellent analytical and legal drafting skills;
- Ability to handle, prioritize and follow through on a high volume of work;
- Demonstrated ability to skillfully navigate in an intense, fast-moving where conflicts arise and are debated openly;
- Prior education or knowledge in a technical field including live protein production or food science is a plus.
Opportunity to establish and develop alliances between international financial institutions and the agricultural programs for large private foundation
A large, leading private foundation has retained Kincannon & Reed to recruit a Senior Program Officer, International Financial Institutions.
This role will direct and lead the foundation’s Agricultural Development Program engagements with international financial institutions (IFI). This new role will establish and develop alliances and foster cooperation between the foundation’s Agriculture Development team (AgDev), and the agricultural investment programs and efforts of the IFI’s.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Policy & Data, the Senior Program Officer, International Financial Institutions will collaborate with the wider AgDev team, and internal business partners in establishing and developing the foundation’s financial partnerships with IFI’s.
- Develop deep understanding of global and regional agriculture strategies (objectives, sub-sectors, geographies), investments portfolio and operating structure of IFIs in our priority geographies and globally.
- Landscape and keep abreast of agriculture investments in developing countries by IFIs to inform and shape the foundation’s investment pipeline.
- Effectively implement investments using existing innovative financing instruments to drive agriculture transformation in the developing world.
- Develop and manage relationships with agriculture counterparts in IFIs through consistent engagement and clear communication and in close collaboration with the Global Policy & Advocacy leadership team.
- Identify programmatic opportunities and relevant mechanisms in partnership with teams in AgDev to leverage portfolios of IFIs to advance the foundation’s objectives.
- Structure and lead partnership opportunities (co-investments using grants, loans, equity and other instruments, technical assistance, strategic alignment) in specific areas for AgDev.
- Coordinate technical input from the AgDev team to IFI investments where applicable and bring lessons from IFI investments to the AgDev team to inform the foundation’s program investments.
- Develop joint policy priorities with IFIs in common priority countries and regions.
- Research and independently provide the analyses and draft the concept notes to inform AgDev policies on existing and anticipated issues related to IFI engagement.
- Partner closely with the foundation’s GPA and Finance teams to execute specific deals.
- Support GPA in developing leadership engagement between the foundation and the IFIs.
- Support deal teams in close collaboration with finance, legal, and other colleagues, including initial screening, investment structuring, due diligence, and financial reviews.
- Support AgDev leadership in managing IFI portfolio and act as interface between AgDev and foundation investment committee with regards to risk exposure and investment performance for relevant investments.
- This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Strong knowledge of strategy, operations, and priority setting mechanisms of one or more IFIs
- 10+ years of experience in structuring investments and developing partnerships for and with IFIs.
- Strong familiarity with agricultural markets and sector, data and evidence on agriculture policies, issues, and constraints in developing countries.
- Extensive experience years living/working in a low-income country context, with 5+ years in direct management and delivery of agriculture services, ideally on the ground experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, India and/or Bangladesh.
- Knowledge of various loans, equity and guaranty financial structures (structuring deals, club deals, sovereign loans/investment, etc.).
- A mindset that drives and leads the team to explore new approaches and partners and take educated risks that can potentially accelerate our pathway to improve lives of small holder farmers.
- Negotiations expertise involving complex institutional relationships, financial transactions, public-private partnerships, and national and sub-national governments.
- Work experience requiring effective support of a highly skilled and demanding client base, serving as counselor on ground-breaking, emerging strategic and financial issues and challenges in a complex and evolving policy and regulatory environment.
- Demonstrated ability to structure and lead institutional partnershipsm to initiate and keep momentum, deal closing track-record, support teams, and gain the respect of others.
- Intellectual quickness, curiosity, discipline, resourcefulness and resilience.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a team effort.
- Demonstrated passion for the foundation’s values with commitment to deliver results against the foundation’s mission.
- The highest personal and professional integrity, along with a sense of humor.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to convey complex situations in a clear and concise manner with a broad and diverse audience.
MBA or advanced degree required.
Managing Director opportunity with global food and agribusiness leader
Our client provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, the company helps people thrive by applying insights learned over 150 years of experience. The Company has retained Kincannon & Reed to recruit a farmer-focused executive to become its next Managing Director of Customer Solutions & Services for their Agricultural Supply Chain Group in North America. This individual will lead farmer initiatives in the North American market working with the Company’s multiple businesses and value offerings.
This executive will develop and deploy a farmer-facing strategy which includes aligning the Company’s go-to-market strategy with its other Cargill businesses, including Risk Management, Feed and Nutrition, and Starch and Sweeteners.
- Lead the North America Sales and Grain Origination function. Lead the farmer-facing strategy and go-to-market strategy to enable the Company’s grain origination to meet market share goals, maximize operating efficiency, and focus on serving customer needs. Partner with and align the farmer-facing strategy with the Company’s other businesses;
- Product and Service Net Revenue – meet defined goals for Grain Market/Risk Management Products, Grain Market and Agronomy Advisory, and Crop Inputs. Meet crop input sales goals and plans at targeted volumes and net margins;
- Lead the Future Frontiers strategy including oversight of sustainability strategy and value-added IP projects, and product differentiation;
- Lead the supply chain’s communication team and strategy implementation;
- Participate as a member of the Group Leadership Team responsible for the North America Group strategy and organizational alignment;
- Play a leadership role in creating a values-based and inclusive culture to develop a strong, engaged and diverse workforce.
We seek a highly-accomplished commercial leader with strong agricultural credentials and broad strategic experiences across the North American grain and food value chains – a leader that knows the past and sees the future with clarity. The selected candidate must be a servant-based leader with the ability to collaborate with and navigate a across multiple business platforms and to and reinforce new initiatives without sacrificing the company mission and cultural integrity. He or she must have a confidence-building, forward-looking leadership style with the ability to gain momentum quickly.
- Minimum 15 years of commercial or customer focused experience and agricultural leadership/industry experience.
- Experience managing a large geographically dispersed team. Track record of effective talent management, assessment and development.
- Demonstrated success growing a business and developing and implementing strategy. Previous success shaping a firm’s vision, portfolio strategy, and commercialization of products.
- Success influencing across a complex global organization and management of cross-enterprise stakeholder relationships. Strong preference for multi-country leadership experience
- Track record of developing organizations and meeting the budgets and resource needs for both internal R&D as well as sponsored research.
- Proven success leading a complex, results-oriented research program requiring deep scientific competency, innovative thinking, and organizational and collaborative skills.
- Solid commercial sales and marketing acumen and knowledge of the US and Canadian farmer;
- Demonstrated capability to interact and succeed with farmers, understanding of the industry and trends, policy, data and technology implications, etc;
- Proven leadership skills creating vision and strategy, and engaging the organization;
- Proven ability to develop others by coaching, mentoring, and building a passion for the mission;
- Highly skilled in partnering, influencing, and working with cross-functional and cross-cultural teams regardless of internal (direct) reporting relationships or (influence based) leadership of collaborators;
- Highly skilled in ensuring that stakeholders are kept informed and engaged. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Inspirational leadership and communication/
- High level of integrity, tenacity, and energy. Experienced in culture building and engagement of diverse teams.
Chief Financial Officer opportunity at global leader in horticultural industry
Our client is a global family of businesses dedicated to providing the best seed and vegetatively propagated ornamental plants around the globe through the dedicated efforts of its breeders, research and development teams, seed and vegetable producers, and distribution companies.
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit a Chief Financial Officer, reporting to the Chairman and CEO. This important leadership role will appeal to accomplished financial and internationally astute executives who are motivated by the challenge of providing business and financial leadership for this growing, highly-profitable privately-held business.
With 6 direct reports and active dotted line relationships with finance managers at all foreign subsidiaries, s/he will be responsible for providing leadership and oversight of financial management practices and performance at domestic and foreign subsidiaries, ensuring compliance with country-level financial and tax regulations and accounting standards. Travel is anticipated to be ~25%, both domestic and international.
For this position, we seeks a hands-on and strategic finance leader with a track record of success in guiding and implementing strategies for business growth. Chosen candidate will be one who understands and appreciates being closely involved with the operations of the business, participates in the business beyond his/her financial scope (including customer interactions), and takes on new challenges as the business grows.
Experience and education
- Minimum 15 years financial and/or operational management experience with at least 5 years at a senior financial level, preferably with some leadership experience in a growing mid-sized, privately-held company;
- Significant experience with international operations and finance functions; solid working knowledge of international accounting and related financial standards and practices; Demonstrated management experience in finance, accounting, financial and tax reporting, analysis, budgeting, cash management, and financial forecasting;
- Management of IT functions and demonstrated management experience in ERP business environments; SAP experience a plus;
- Experience in CPG, plant agriculture, perishable product industries, seasonally-driven businesses and/or complex distribution chains. Experience in both mature and emerging market environments;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or relevant discipline. CPA, MBA or relevant graduate degree desirable.
Skills and personal characteristics
- • Strong leadership and communication skills, with ability to interact well at all levels in an organization and with external contacts;
- Demonstrated strategic thinker on business strategy, business models, growth vehicles, and financial management. Strong business acumen, ability to anticipate and interpret uncertainty, identify and manage risk, embrace change and help drive sound decision-making throughout the organization;
- Demonstrated interest and ability to interact directly with line business managers and employees; an active participant in the business, not limited to financial functions;
- A successful developer of people’s talents; ability to assemble and develop a strong financial organization;
- Collaborative approach of working across functional areas of the Company, across foreign operations; ability to build trust and credibility as a business leader.
Leadership Opportunity at Innovator in the Horticultural Industry
Reporting to the President of this global business unit, the Global Sales Director is accountable for driving worldwide sales and marketing activities for the full range of flower seed products. This individual is responsible for sales forecasting, pricing, along with setting sales targets and strategies by product line, by market, and by customer. With 11 direct reports, s/he is ultimately responsible for impacting the overall financial strength of this division through the achievement of sales objectives and the engagement of the international sales team. Major responsibilities include:
- Develop sales forecasts by market and by product line to achieve long-range sales/growth objectives for this global business unit.
- Engage her/his team to develop a sustainable high performing culture; lead a diverse team of sales, product, and technical support representatives located in different markets around the world.
- Develop and execute new product launches.
- Effectively evaluate the market for pricing strategies by product class and product lines within classes; determine pricing for all markets.
- Coordinate with internal retail business managers to develop and execute product programs for the large chain retailers in the North America
- Plan and implement product programs and product marketing strategies with outside distributors and internal distribution companies located in several major markets around the world.
- Actively participate as a member of the business unit leadership team and other cross-company teams.
The role is based in the corporate headquarters in Chicago area. Travel is anticipated to be 50%–both domestic and international.
Experience and education
- A minimum of 10 years of significant sales and marketing management experience; proven capabilities as an effective sales manager of an internationally based team.
- Experience in horticulture, nurseries, lawn and garden, seed, or other seasonally-impacted sectors is highly desirable.
- Influential communication skills, internally and externally, along with cultural acuity in various world locations.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize customer trends and market information into successful commercial strategies.
- Analytical capability to effectively forecast, measure, and drive sales performance to metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or relevant discipline. MBA or relevant graduate degree is desirable.
Skills and personal characteristics
- Ability to develop and set strategy, encourage fresh thought, understand the business, and communicate effectively.
- A business builder’s perspective, thought process, and execution orientation.
- A “Strategic –doer” with the ability to apply business management principles in the context of the Company’s structure and business. An instinct to think and act opportunistically.
- Detail orientation coupled with the ability to quickly master the subject matter and see it in the context of the broader business framework.
- A collaborative leadership style that demonstrates confidence, assertiveness, sound judgment, and a straightforward tenor to interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to quickly develop relationships and generate trust with stakeholders. Outstanding communication skills.
- Confidence and managerial courage. A high level of comfort to stand alone and to hold himself/herself and others accountable.
Lead agricultural operations for provider of lemons and avacados
Our client was founded in 1893 by pioneers of spirit and vision that helped lay the foundations of the thriving California citrus industry. Their dedication and innovation in the agricultural industry helped found and develop many institutions that still exist, including Sunkist Growers, Fruit Growers Supply and Diamond Walnut.
With nearly 11,000 acres of agricultural production, they are still one of the largest providers of
lemons and avocados in the United States. In addition to agricultural investments, the Company has a
long history of community building, and have new live-walk-work neighborhoods that are close to shovel ready. Commercial and residential income producing and for-sale properties round out theirportfolio.
The Senior Director of Agricultural Operation is a newly created role aimed at bringing about a cultural change to embrace best-in-class and state-of-the-art operating practices and financial decision-making at the field level. The position reports directly to the Senior Vice President and interacts across the organization as a member of the senior management team. The position will be located at and operate from the headquarters in Santa Paula, California and will entail considerable travel in California, Arizona, and internationally.
Position responsibilities include:
- Incorporate innovation in the farming operations in all divisions;
- Maximize and grow all ag operations through the development of matrices to aid and report on performance;
- Constantly scan the global citrus community for new technologies and implement them .
- With division Directors, continuously analyze and update operational procedures and managerial programs/protocols for all farming divisions;
- Continuously work financial modeling for reporting of agricultural operations for the purpose of corporate financial reporting;
- Focus on building teamwork in each farming division and throughout the Company;
- Develop a protocol/procedure/system to take business planning to the field and utilize it going forward;
- Manage and integrate energy, waste, and water into ag operations where feasible;
- Other projects as deemed necessary by Management.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Agricultural or Business program or equivalent, at least 10 years of ranch management experience, financial planning and result evaluation;
- Above average understanding of financial modeling, strategic planning, operational
management, human resource, knowledge of agribusiness and general management.
- Excellent computer skills (able to operate Microsoft Office and prepare financial models and
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written in English, fluency in Spanish
- Able to accept responsibility for action and results and follow through on commitments and deadlines;
- Able to collaborate with others to achieve the company’s business goals;
- Able to accept constructive criticism;
- Forward thinking, change oriented, with an analytical perspective, natural curiosity about how things can be done better;
- Able to make informed decisions in a dynamic environment.
Opportunity to Lead the Retail Business of one of America’s Premier Farm Supply and Service Cooperatives
The overall purpose of the EVP, Retail position is to provide the leadership, vision, and direction necessary to drive demand-creation for products through 135 company-owned retail stores and 69 member coop stores. This includes establishing and executing a new company-wide strategy, aligned with those of the business units providing wholesale products including Agronomy, Farm Supply, and Petroleum and the corporate sales strategy. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the execution of specific plans to achieve and surpass profitable sales growth targets and for the support of a wide range of back-office services to the member coop stores. The retail channel currently accounts for roughly 45% of SSC business.
- Serve as a member of the senior executive team and participate in the establishment of SSC Strategic and Financial Plans and the general management of the organization.
- In collaboration with the senior executives from Farm Supply, Agronomy, Petroleum and Sales, the CFO and others, establish a company-wide retail strategy
- Oversee inventory management practices and ensure inventory is maintained at optimal levels throughout the retail locations to balance financial risk as well as customer seasonal demands.
- Ensure a process is established for regular review and refresh (addition and elimination) of SKUs to ensure that only the most relevant in-demand and profitable SKUs are maintained.
- Establish appropriate targets and metrics for organization-wide retail sales, both financial and nonfinancial, which are consistent with the short and long-term strategic plans of the organization.
- Ensure the efficient provision of back-office services to member coops including marketing, store merchandising, stock accounting, loss prevention among others.
- Motivate and lead a team of high performing sales professionals and assume an active role in championing change, employee development and succession management through mentoring and coaching subordinates.
- Maintain close collaboration with leaders of each business unit to ensure that the goals of the Retail team are integrated with other business units and that merchandising, logistics and fulfillment functions are aligned.
Other important parameters:
- Position reports to the President & CEO
- The position is supported by a team of approximately 850 full time and 300 seasonal personnel
- The incumbent will be located in Richmond, VA
- Regular travel will be required within the Southern States market and occasionally elsewhere within the US
Our client seeks a candidate who has a proven track record in leading a retail business to achieve higher levels of performance both in terms of financial and customer service metrics. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in business administration or a related field with a preference for a post-graduate degree.
An appropriate combination of education and related experience will be considered;
- Technical expertise in retail supply chain management including procurement, merchandising and sales planning.
- Experience managing a retail sales force throughout multiple locations;
- Successful track record in growing sales revenue and profitability, in a large retail environment;
- Demonstrated experience in operational leadership of an organization (i.e. financial, human and other resources) and experience managing organizational change.
Knowledge and Expertise:
- Knowledge of relevant systems, tools and technologies for retail sales and inventory management;
- Knowledge of strategy, budgeting and tactical planning processes;
- Deep expertise in team leadership styles including recruitment, performance management and development;
- Understanding of agriculture is an asset.
Skills & Competencies:
- Strategic thinker who understands the importance of a clear vision, a focused mission and measurable outcomes;
- Passion and sense of urgency for growth and achievement;
- Proven ability to create strategy and balance agility and determination to execute;
- Solid management skills and the ability to recruit a top-tier team;
- Inclusive and consultative style balanced with the ability to make tough decisions and stand firm when appropriate;
- Consensus builder with a track record of success in forging alliances with stakeholders;
- Strong leader with the extraordinary ability to lead change, communicate, challenge and inspire a team to success.
Global Bovine Genetics Leader Seeking Strategic VP Operations
Reporting to the CEO, the VP Operations role is responsible for strategic leadership and direction of the global operations division, inclusive of; animal health, farming operations, semen production, embryo production, customer service/regulatory affairs and distribution.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provides vision and leadership in the development of the long-term operational strategies for Operations Division, in conjunction with the Operations management team; ensures strategies align with the overall strategic goals.
- Develops a deep and thorough understanding of the R&D and product development strategies, along with market dynamics, to ensure alignment with operational strategies, structures and processes; facilitates this understanding throughout the operations management team.
- Participates in international project teams related to operational objectives; identifies opportunities globally and works closely with sales directors to maximize efficiency and align with growth plans.
Successful candidates will require operations knowhow, expertise, and familiarity with the customer value chain in the dairy and beef sectors. They must be able to lead, manage and develop people in their organization. They must have a collaborative leadership nature along with the savvy to operate in a strategic global company at a senior management level. Candidates must be strategic, pragmatic, and customer minded with a business building nature.
Qualifications, Experience & Education:
- Relevant experience in animal agriculture – related to animal health and housing; semen production; embryo production preferred.
- Strong analytical/financial analysis background.
- Quality and process improvement know how and mindset; continuous improvement orientation.
- University degree in business, agriculture or related discipline – animal science an asset.
- Plays a key executive role in the development and execution of long-term corporate strategies.
- Participates in the business case development for related global investments/divestments.
- Oversees development of metrics that measure the operational efficiency of all divisional functions; monitors progress towards strategic goals of highest fertility in our products and optimum effectiveness and efficiency in our processes.
- Oversees development of annual operating budgets; monitors throughout the year – adjusts accordingly.
- Develops capital investment plans and budgets, aligned to the long-term operations strategies; works closely with CEO and CFO to determine capital investment funding requirements to support strategies.
Opportunity as Head of Input Distribution
The Head of Input Distribution and Agro-Dealer Development will be the organization’s lead officer for ensuring sustainable access to improved seed, fertilizer, and other inputs at the farmer level throughout the organization’s program area, eventually comprising 30 million farm families across Africa. S/he will work closely with their colleagues in the area of extension and capacity building to ensure a continuum of learning and utilization of productivity-enhancing inputs among smallholder farmers.
We seek an outstanding leader who as the Head of Input Distribution and Agro-Dealer Development will be the organization’s lead officer for ensuring sustainable access to improved seed, fertilizer, and other inputs at the farmer level.
The ideal candidate will have most or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Drive strategy to improve farmers access to and use of agro-inputs on a large-scale, at an affordable cost and in a more sustainable way;
- Support extensive training, financing, and collaboration with both wholesale and retail agro-dealers to build dense, functional networks of input suppliers throughout program area;
- Drive effective negotiations with governments and donor agencies involved with developing strategies for input supply, including subsidy schemes, with a view to minimizing the distortional effects of subsidy schemes;
- Work closely with heads of seed systems and soil fertility and fertilizer systems to ensure that the improved seed and fertilizers reaching farmers is up-to-date and of acceptable quality;
- Drive the creation of demand toward increased use of yield enhancing inputs, promotion of sustainable crop production technologies, business networking and reduction in marketing costs of agricultural commodities in rural markets;
- Through collaborations, build efficient input supply systems through improved access to finance and business partnerships with both government and donor institutions;
- Drive the reduction of transaction costs (both at farm and for entrepreneurs);
- Support the sensitization and training of large numbers of agro-dealers to stimulate supply of agro-inputs;
- Working with various sectors – mainly the private sector, nurture the emergence of an input supply network;
- Support agro-dealer empowerment through knowledge and technical skills development in business management, safe product handling, crop husbandry practices and the formation of agro-dealer business associations;
- Coordinate capacity development programs that will link Agro-Dealers with formal financial institutions and farm input suppliers or wholesale traders for credit purposes to improve their working capital base;
- Push for credit availability for agro-dealers to boost their business working capital via increased business stocks to enhance availability of all farm inputs in the amounts demanded.
Opportunity to Lead Grant Management Strategy of Leading AG Development Organization
The Head of Grants will be responsible for developing, implementing, operationalizing and optimizing a grants management strategy, policies and procedures. S/he will direct all components of grants processing, including structure of grants, regulatory compliance, and sharing of grants information with program, finance and Operations staff. S/he will lead grants monitoring and evaluation processes, and train staff in compliance, internal processes and technology for efficient use of resources.
We seek an outstanding leader who will have overall responsibility for designing and implementing the company’s grants administration systems and ensure that grant making is effective and efficient.
The ideal candidate will have most or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- Lead the formulation, implementation and operationalization of Grants management framework and strategy
- Lead and drive the development of all policies and procedures related to grant administration
- Guide the production of grant materials for each grant and program-related contract made, including ensuring that all grant and contract materials are prepared accurately and in compliance with all AGRA policies and procedures and with the IRS regulations
- In collaboration with the Legal Unit, review all legal implications and ensure correctness with all grant documentation that require legal interpretation and support
- Conduct analysis on grant data, leadership and Board and produce management indicators as required
- Work closely with the Head of Resource Mobilization and Head of Monitoring and Evaluation to develop grant proposal and report formats, and to provide information from grantee reports that track progress in meeting project milestones
- Lead the Grant teams to compile the grant reports section and other grant-related sections of periodic reports to donors, board dockets and AGRA annual reports
- Drive efficiency and optimization of the Grants System (GIFTS) and ensure training is provided for other users on the software; provide user support as needed. Serve as the primary GIFTS business owner, partnering with information technology, finance and program staff to document, manage, and implement ongoing procedural enhancements, software upgrades, and new technology roll out as required
- Contribute towards the structure of annual grant making budget.
- Lead, Manage, and implement continuous improvement initiatives for grants administration ensuring that solutions align with strategic goals
- Implement efficient reporting procedures to guide recording of all incoming proposals and declinations in GIFTS
- Put in place a strategy to manage the flow of grants over the course of every year, advising business on timing and potential issues that need to be addressed
- Develop, implement and monitor proper fiscal administration systems and provide financial analyses of audits and reports
- Drive grantee understanding and compliance with AGRA grant application and reporting procedures
- Coach, mentor and develop staff working in the grants administration unit and across the organization on grant making rules, regulations and procedures
- Lead, implement and oversee special projects as assigned or initiated.
Opportunity with Commercial leadership opportunity with a leading challenger seed brand
The Company seeks a results-driven, high-integrity executive who has relevant ag industry marketing management experience, excellent strategic thinking skills, and execution capability, along with a strong team-oriented attitude. The successful candidate will have a “roll-up-your-sleeves”, dynamic management style and strong interpersonal skills.
Reporting to Vice President, Sales and Marketing and located in the Company’s main office in Illinois, the Director of Marketing will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Lead development and execution of marketing strategy and annual marketing plan , including development and execution of advertising, communications, and public relationship campaigns. Lead production of content that is “on brand” and capable of strengthening brand position in market, including segmented and specific customer tactics.
- As the Steward of the brand, work with the leadership team to clarify and refine the brand strategy and the resulting brand position.
- Build and maintain deep understanding of the current products and service offerings. Deliver product and service offerings to customers in a manner that enables the company to further differentiate its customer value proposition and build long term value. Build broad connections with distribution network and customer base to remain grounded in the business.
- Enable deep organizational understanding of market, go-to-market, and customer analytics and trends through comprehensive use of market research and analytical tools. Lead monitoring and understanding of competitors, offerings, and market conditions to properly assess the competitive position in the marketplace. Effectively track marketing campaigns and results, taking corrective action to ensure achievement of marketing objectives within agreed budgets.
- Work closely with the Business Unit managers to assess the strength of its chosen channels-to-market. Utilize performance metrics to focus efforts and build upon the go-to-market strategy to strengthen selected channels.
- Actively engage as a member of the company leadership team, effectively representing marketing, and stretching beyond the boundaries of the defined role, leveraging knowledge and experience to better the overall business
- Build, lead, develop, and inspire highly effective marketing team (6 direct reports) by leveraging strengths, mitigating weaknesses, and spreading accountability. Prioritize professional and technical development of self and team.
We are looking for candidates who values the strength of the current brand, and the momentum it has built in the market. An executive who comes with a “build upon” attitude, understands what differentiates the company, its values, and desires to build upon the current brand strengths.
Experience and Skills
- At least 15 years’ progressive commercial leadership experience, including at least 7 years in a marketing department. Field Sales experience preferred.
- Deep understanding of the 4 P’s of marketing, how they interact together to drive the business. Demonstrated competencies in building great marketing strategies, plans, and campaigns impacting the business. Is a student of various media approaches, always seeking to secure the best ways to build the brand.
- Highly interactive within the commercial sales organization, garnering feedback and insights.
- Aptitude for building a profitable, sustainable business, particularly at the customer level. Has vision for the customer relationship, how the Company can be unique to build our business.
- Capable member of the Leadership team: engaged in the broader leadership agenda and delivering insight and counsel beyond the boundaries of the role. Knows when to challenge and when to move forward on common ground. Engage the leadership actively in key marketing processes and effectively take leadership decisions back to the marketing team.
- Strong function leader: a team oriented person who is effective at leading and managing a team through clear role definitions, skill development, and will give the marketing team members the latitude to lead and be successful. Values team diversity and can leverage it for better of the team and business.
- Views effective delivery/launch/execution of all marketing tactics as a critical part of success for the business, and works with other leaders to ensure this is done effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to weather and lead through difficult challenges in the business and is able to step up their leadership capabilities to manage effectively.
Director, Product Development opportunity with an innovator in blueberries
The purpose of this role is to drive our client’s global IP business, including breeding and commercialization of new varieties. The Director, Product Development & Commercialization will collaborate closely with the Director of Sales & Marketing and in-house Legal Counsel on IP matters. This position has frequent interactions with licensors, licensees, customers, consultants, visitors and guests.
Specific responsibilities include:
- The Director, Product Development & Commercialization will be an active member of the company’s COO led executive management team, with collective responsibility to maximize profitability, growth and market share of the company worldwide.
- Within the context of the strategic plan, the Director, Product Development & Commercialization will have responsibility for developing the commercialization strategies of a complete variety portfolio, with a special focus on developing private licensing program This position chairs the committee for final release and commercialization decisions.
- Primary responsibility for the strategic oversight, management and outcomes of the breeding and variety development worldwide to be the foremost blueberry genetics portfolio for all chill levels. This includes in-house breeding and genetics procurement from third partie
- Ensures the launch and downstream administration of all variety commercialization, both third party developed and in-house.
- Ultimate responsibility, in collaboration with Legal Counsel, for the asset protection of intellectual property. Requires nuanced decision-making when balancing commercial opportunities with variety protection and legal ri
- Responsible for the P&L and financial performance of the IP business unit, including breeding. Works closely with Finance to develop accounting and reporting procedures, budget projections and revenue foreca
- Works closely with Marketing to develop strategy and implementation for IP-related marketing, public relations, and industry relations. This includes a special focus downstream for retail outreach and “pull” for genetics portfolio
- Responsible for maintaining high-level relationships with private and public licensors, licensee accounts, and representation in the scientific breeding community.
The Director, Product Development & Commercialization will provide leadership to three major areas: Intellectual Property, New Product Commercialization, and R&D. Some of the team is in place and other roles will need to be added. The ideal candidate will have experience directing a global intellectual property business, including breeding and variety development programs.
Experience required or desired
- Requires 8+ years of business management experience in the Produce or Vegetable Seed industry with direct exposure to both international intellectual property management and breeding in high-value crop
- Minimum of 5+ years in a management position with the proven ability to develop and mentor staff.
- Understands high-value horticultural crop production at every level of the value chain.
- Demonstrated experience with planning, budgeting, forecasting, and financial analy
- Track record of team work in a multicultural environment and ability to work effectively with diverse communities
Drive growth of an emerging crop protection technology leader
This newly created role of Vice President of Global Business Development and Licensing is responsible to identify, investigate and analyze new opportunities for their strategic fit, and subsequently to establish and drive selected projects to successful partnerships with leading market participants.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Identifies new opportunities to grow our clients business (companies, technologies and products)
- Coordinates the evaluation of new external opportunities across multiple functional areas including Research & Development, Regulatory, Commercial, Manufacturing, Finance, Legal, Intellectual Property
- Independently and in collaboration with internal groups, works to provide input and assumptions for detailed economic analyses of new opportunities (e.g., market research, business intelligence, competitive analysis, development plans, commercial forecasts, NPV analyses) to inform business decisions
- Presents business rationale, analyses and proposals to the management team and Board of Directors
- Develops deal concepts and leads negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements
- Builds strong relationships with crop protection companies as well as with academia and government
- Represents the client in a positive and professional manner
Other important parameters for this position include:
- Position reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- The position is located in Lutherville, MD (strong preference)
- Significant domestic and international travel is expected
We seek an entrepreneurial business development and licensing executive with strategic and analytical skills, backed by a proven track record of successful partnering with larger agrochemical companies.
- The background of the successful candidate covers most of the following specific experiences:
- A minimum of 15 years of professional experience comprising business development, licensing, product marketing, and product sales responsibilities in the crop protection industry
- A demonstrated ability to deliver meaningful commercial results with limited staff and resources, by drawing upon key industry relationships, effective business development and personal determination
- Prior experience being a key commercial-oriented contributor with evidenced entrepreneurial aptitude
- Experience in market sizing, identifying new market targets and developing business cases
- Demonstrated success introducing new agricultural technology and products into global crops
- Track record of effectively working with partners in international markets including NA, EU, LA and Asia
- Has successfully led and built small, but highly accountable teams
- Good working knowledge with intellectual property management and related in- and out-licensing
- Proficiency developing sound input and assumptions for financial and business models
- Thorough understanding of the processes of due diligence, asset valuation, alliance development, and portfolio development
- Extensive “deal sheet” indicating a successful track record of leading and executing transactions with emphasis on licensing, collaborations and M&A
CEO to play a pivotal role in AGR’s continuing efforts to build better men through academics, excellence, and leadership
Reporting to the Grand President and the National Board of Directors, the CEO is responsible for effective leadership of the organization and staff, oversight of three volunteer Boards and numerous other volunteer groups, and execution of its mission and goals. Located in the organization’s Kansas City headquarters, the CEO will provide visionary, high-integrity leadership for to inspire members and alumni. This executive will plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the programs and oversee 12 staff members. The CEO will maintain effective internal and external relationships, while achieving cost-efficient, productive performance in programs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Recommend strategy, goals, programs, policies and budget for the approval of the National Board of Directors. Implement the strategy, goals, programs, policies and budget approved by the Board.
- Maintain the National Headquarters of the fraternity as a communication center for the National Board of Directors, officers, brothers, chapters and others.
- Foster expansion of AGR through increasing the number and size of chapters, alumni chapters, and related programs. Develop programs to improve chapter management and other areas of operation within the fraternity.
- Assume a lead role in fundraising. Coordinate and work directly with the Educational Foundation.
- Handle routine financial matters as budgeted, report monthly to the National Board of Directors on finances of the fraternity, and report to the National Convention on the operations of the fraternity.
- Serve as Business Manager of the Sickle & Sheaf magazine; work with the Editor on all fraternity publications.
Our client seeks a passionate and effective leader with experience and demonstrated success in managing staff. The CEO will oversee three volunteer boards (National Fraternity Board, Educational Foundation Board, Housing Resources Trust Board) and other volunteer groups while developing and implementing programs that meet the organization’s mission and vision.
The selected candidate will have the skills and experience to inspire the continuum of stakeholders to advance and expand the fraternity. The ideal candidate is an alumnus who has the following skills, experiences, and attributes:
- A strategic and creative executive with a 5+ year record of accomplishment in developing an impactful vision, devising, and implementing strategies to achieve key milestones with action plans and deliverables. The hire will collaborate with colleagues, members, and outside stakeholders to realize that vision.
- A broad understanding of the food and agriculture value chains across the S. Strong experience in financial management and expertise in managing operations of an organization, including handling complex budgets and funding sources such as membership dues, donations, and grants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all rules and restrictions in regards to specific revenue streams and the ability to ensure compliance throughout the organization.
- Experienced leader of diverse teams. Inclusive and empathetic style, with the ability to gauge opinions and develop consensus among all stakeholders.
- Proven ability to attract, retain, and motivate high caliber talent. Foster organizational culture of empowerment and high-performing collaboration in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
- Professional experience in an ag-food related environment (association, company, agricultural operation, academia, or organization) is highly desirable. A bachelor’s degree is required. Graduate degree and relevant certifications are a plus.
Lead new market opportunities for a world leader in Animal Nutrition
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit an executive – New Segments Manager – to play a critical role in advancing our client’s understanding of new market opportunities investment and bringing those investments into the fold.
A key strategy is to be the incubators and entrepreneurs for growth within the company linking together agriculture, nutrition and advanced materials. One area of focus is in the Animal Nutrition business and to that end our client has identified a need to identify, prioritize and assess new market opportunities to drive transformational growth with a focus on Animal Health. As a member of the Animal Nutrition team, this New Segments role will be responsible for:
- Identifying and prioritizing new technology to invest and expand with.
- Conducting rapid market assessments to select the top possibilities for further analysis.
- Leading implementation of 3 – 5 new market opportunities annually outside core portfolio & segments.
- working with cross-functional teams to understand and develop business case proposals and project objectives to ultimately drive investment in the highest potential areas.
- Leading M&A due diligence efforts as identified and prioritized through the assessment process through corporate channels.
The program will require concept development and validation efforts through market stakeholders and potential customers and using industry experts. This role will own and develop the underlying business proposition to help drive investment decisions.
Specific responsibilities include:
Vetting and diligence activities on a variety of early phase Animal Health and Nutrition ideas to determine market attractiveness and technical feasibility as part of the Animal Nutrition Stage Zero process. Responsibility for making recommendation on which ideas should be considered and taken forward for investment consideration.
- Develop/ consider new business models, partnerships, acquisition targets and/ or customer relationships as necessary to deliver the goals of the program.
- Lead development of financial models, strategic scenarios, and potential implementation plans for the identified opportunities and/or M&A targets.
- Provide project management leadership to the cross-functional project team – apply PM best practice.
- Development of understanding of global market trends and technologies across a variety of market segments and geographies.
We seek a proven and entrepreneurial technical leader with the ability to identify, analyze and drive new business opportunities to transformational business. This individual contributor will be able to work across functional, geographical and technical boundaries, both internally and externally, to generate new business for Industrial Biosciences.
Knowledge, Experience and Educational Level
- 8+ years Marketing or Sales or Business Development experience in the Animal Nutrition or Animal Health industry allied with a well-developed industry network.
- Strong external market orientation and experience interacting with customers and external partners, particularly in market analysis and segmentation.
- Interest in and ability to understand challenging technical programs and develop value propositions
- Sales and marketing experience relative to introduction of new products/applications and experience working with food or agricultural-based value chains is desirable.
- Master’s Degree in Animal Nutrition or Biochemistry is preferred and an MBA in marketing or business development is desirable.
Skills & personal characteristics
- Strong personal leadership skills, including demonstrated ability to lead through influence across organizational boundaries.
- Financial analysis skills, particularly ability to identify key assumptions and build financial models for uncertain new business opportunities.
- Ability to function effectively in environments of high uncertainty and manage projects with multiple parallel paths.
- Innovative with a strong commercial mindset.
- Builds sustainable customer relationships.
- Driven to achieve results.
- Communicates with impact and displays high levels of integrity and trust.
Lead Global Innovation for a world leader in Animal Nutrition
Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit an executive – Global Innovation Lead, Animal Nutrition – to play a critical role in accelerating our client’s commercialization of world-changing animal nutrition and health solutions to meet the needs of a growing population while protecting our environment.
Working in close cooperation with the product development R&D team, this role is responsible for the animal science part of all R&D projects from identifying initial concept through to final validation. This role is also accountable for global application support and for the ongoing management of the application laboratories around the globe.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic guidance on the Animal Nutrition (AN) global technology portfolio. Provide deep functional expertise (knowledge and insight) and technical oversight across all product and technical activities.
- Actively scout for new technologies that would enable AN to bring to market cutting edge products.
- Manage, in cooperation with product development R&D, the overall product development plan for new AN products from research project initiation through to market launch.
- Identify, evaluate abilities of, and manage key relationships with the various external suppliers, research institutions and technology partners across the globe required to continually improve current projects, and to enable new business opportunities to be brought to market in a timely manner.
- To leverage customer/market insights to enable technical translation and alignment of product development and marketing messages with market needs.
- Ensuring AN’s recognition in the market as a thought leader by identifying and collaborating with leading academic researchers and other 3rd parties in the field of animal (gut) health.
- Represent AN at scientific meetings and conferences, and ensure peer reviewed publication of projects.
- Ensure maximum IP protection for inventions.
- Manage the R&D team’s performance and career development objectives.
- Effectively recruit new team members to ensure that the resource needs are met for timely completion and future planning of all projects.
- Identify, foster and manage relationships with key bodies influential in the animal nutrition and animal health industry.
- Manage the team of 13 scientists, nutritionists and application laboratory managers.
- Member of AN global leadership team.
- Manage external spend budget for trials and 3rd party cooperation. (up to $5mm)
For this high-impact role, we seek a results-oriented, innovative and creative leader with experience in managing product development plus strong ability in organizational communication and team management. S/he will be recognized as a global thought leader in animal nutrition and health.
We seek a creative and imaginative executive who can drive discussions internally on how AN can capitalize on change that is happening in the animal nutrition industry and can connect the AN technology toolkit with future market needs. S/he will lead the development of a vision for the AN business and play an important role in selling that story to internal leadership and AN customers and partners. In addition, AN is starting an advisory board. This person will help start, lead and develop that group and have the relationships to attract the right experts to it.
Knowledge, Experience and Educational Level
- 8-10 years’ management experience in a product development role in the Animal Nutrition industry.
- Good understanding of the Poultry and Swine industry – ruminant knowledge is a plus.
- Established track record in Animal Nutrition Research (monogastric focus) with well proven capacity for undertaking and successfully completing innovative and creative research.
- Scientific network, publication record and history of involvement in international meetings and conferences indicative being an opinion leader.
- Proven track record of success working with University researchers and small startup company leaders.
- PhD Degree qualification in Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science, or related subject – postdoc experience is an advantage.
- Well established network within the Animal Nutrition industry.
Opportunity to Transform Commercial Leadership at Highly Progressive Dairy
Our client has retained Kincannon & Reed to recruit a Vice President, Global Ingredients Accounts to provide transformational change to this nearly one- hundred-year-old dairy cooperative. We seek an executive to provide leadership, strategy and direction in developing objectives and operating plans to improve ingredient sales performance with both a domestic and international customer base and to serve as a member of the company’s senior leadership team.
Reporting to Chief Commercial Officer, we seek a progressive and collaborative sales executive with well-established strategic relationships with domestic and global food manufactures and a track record of partnering with the commercial operations team to build a business. The role oversees global sales, distribution and marketing network, product development, and customer service.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop, build and sustain a new high performance international sales team and distribution network that operate in a multi-country environment.
- Find and execute new ways to leverage opportunities and customer focus, as well as plan capabilities in alignment with the long-term strategy.
- Plan and develop strategies and initiatives to ensure sales growth and attainment of targets.
- Expand product portfolio and market access.
- Continuously achieve year over year volume growth, margin enhancement, and brand strength.
- Develop a repeatable and predictable sales methodology process.
- Manage the product road map, prioritizing customer driven innovation.
Opportunity to Lead Sales at a Trusted, Top Tier Food Equipment Company
Our client stands out in the marketplace because they have made it a mission to provide best in class sales and support to its customers. To achieve this, they are committed to attract and retain top-quality people who take pride in their own performance, are passionate about customers and suppliers, and enjoy working for an industry leader. The culture is one that encourages team members to be at “the top of their game”, possess excellent customer relations skills, be innovative thinkers and strong communicators, and work independently while still collaborating as a team. The work environment is fast-paced, with a highly focused customer-first mindset of creating value and trust among customers. The management style emphasizes hard work, trust, customer value and accountability.
The objective for the SVP, Sales role is to develop and lead the execution of a strategy that builds strong and enduring relationships with existing and new customers. S/he will be a coach and motivator with the sales organization, and the glue that holds it together. The goal is to further enhance our clients stature in the market, making the company the preferred and most trusted equipment supplier in the food processing industry – a true strategic partner with customers. The primary emphasis of the company, and therefore the SVP role, is to lead a team that grows equipment sales.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and implement both a strategic and a tactical sales plan and identify the resources to achieve agreed- upon objectives, paramount of which is to add value to customers
- Build credibility and relationships with the existing sales team, and work to develop their skills and capabilities to support future growth and increase their value to the company
- Build and enhance relationships with current customers, while, at the same time, work on developing and growing long-lasting business relationships with targeted new customers. Provide feedback on the market.
- Gain deep knowledge and expertise with all suppliers and their capabilities, and work closely with the CEO as the company’s primary interface with all Reiser partner suppliers
- Boost talent bench by attracting, on-boarding, developing and coaching sales and sales management talent
- Manage and motivate the sales team to achieve its sales plan and additional strategic and tactical goals
- Take the lead role in planning and leading the company’s semi-annual sales meetings
- Assist in implementing a CRM system that has the full support and use of all members of the sales team
- Participate in professional organizations and events related to food processing and equipment industry
North American Area Director to join global powerhouse
A unique opportunity exists for a North American Area Director to join global powerhouse in its Layers Business Unit. The successful individual will have a proven track record growing a business that includes Canada, US and Mexico and leading a team of high performers to achieve superior results.
Reporting to the Managing Director of the global Layers Business Unit, the overall purpose of the position is to provide leadership and coordination for the achievement of business plan and budget targets for the North American market. These targets will include full P&L and other strategic growth indicators.
- Together with the Layers Business Unit Management Team assist with defining strategy and long term action plans.
- Define and execute strategy and action plans in the responsible area in line with the overall Layers Business Unit strategy to grow the business in North America.
- Manage all the operational activities including purchasing, production and sales in cooperation with functional Directors within the Layers business unit to achieve area sales and profitability targets.
- Prepare the annual budget and manages budget, forecast, expenses, debtor control, margin and cost control etc. in accordance with the financial policies and procedures of the company.
- Develop and optimize the organization structure by establishing internal processes, methodologies, control systems, control and reporting.
- Maintain a productive relationship with global staff departments and Hendrix Genetics’ central services in area (if applicable).
Our client seeks a candidate who possesses the following attributes and has demonstrated them throughout the course of his or her career.
Knowledge & Experience
- Deep understanding of the North American production and genetics markets
- Solid track record in improving sales and production performance of livestock and/or poultry
- Experience leading a diverse team of managers who each have their own expertise and work styles
- Experience managing full P&L
- Experience working with a variety of international cultures
- Experience with poultry is an asset but experience with other species is acceptable