Kincannon & Reed has been retained to recruit a Director, Specialty/Turf and Ornamental. This role is needed following an acquisition that has created a larger business. They seek an experienced commercial leader from the crop protection sector for this role. Prior experience in the Specialty/ Turf and Ornamental segment is not required. The Director, Specialty/Turf and Ornamental will develop and implement a growth strategy to double the business during the next 3-5 years. They seek candidates who are attracted to a company culture that is known for integrity, ambitious goals, and entrepreneurship.
They are a leading manufacturer and supplier of post-patent crop protection products globally having a strong position in North America with annual sales of approximately $600 million and total company revenues of more than $1.3 billion. The company’s portfolio consists of over 50 active ingredients used in multiple formulations marketed in the Row Crop, Specialty/Turf & Ornamental, and Seed Treatment segments. Manufacturing, formulation, and packaging are located centrally to the market in St. Joseph, Missouri to offer efficient distribution to customers. They are pursuing an ambitious growth strategy based on continuous development and introduction of new post-patent products as well as innovative solutions.
The Director, Specialty/Turf and Ornamental will manage and lead commercial activities of the Specialty/Turf & Ornamental market segment to achieve the Company’s business objectives and financial targets. The selected candidate will coordinate and direct the actions of the National Sales Manager – Prime Source, National Accounts, and Product Development Manager, and Manager, Turf Tech to maximize support for the Turf & Ornamental portfolio and growth in sales and margins. He/she will lead the strategic development of the Specialty segment go-to-market approach to maximize product positioning and integration of the Prime Source business into the Company.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement Specialty/Turf and Ornamental commercial strategies according to company goals and objectives aiming to accelerate growth, margin improvement, and value creation
- Define and implement go-to-market strategies, customer selection, and customer partnership programs to ensure strong and continued market coverage
- Define and implement product positioning, pricing, and rebate strategies to ensure market share capture and support for the full range of products
- Acquire new customers and maintain profitable partnerships with new and existing customers
- Monitor sales development and forecasts, analyze and prepare corrective actions
- Ensure key performance indicators (KPIs) for the Specialty/Turf and Ornamental segment are appropriate and are monitored, tracked, and achieved
- Collect and provide market intel to Commercial Director, North America
Segment Team Leadership
- Communicate business goals, objectives, guidance on product positioning and go-to-market strategy
- Lead and engage the sales leadership in monthly sales forecasting for the Specialty/Turf and Ornamental segment
- Analyze competitive marketing tactics and provide direction
- Active involvement and coordination of the annual planning and budgeting process for Specialty/Turf and Ornamental segment
- Define roles and responsibilities within the Specialty/Turf and Ornamental segment
- Define objectives, key performance indicators, and key initiatives for the Specialty/Turf and Ornamental segment
- Lead performance management discussions including annual and periodic performance evaluations administered by HR
- Analyze needs and provide recommendations for additional resources and career/leadership development training
- Develop launch plans for new products
- Bring new product development concepts from the field to the product development team
- Analyze product acquisition opportunities
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Proven experience in crop protection product sales and/or marketing and managing relationships with key clients.
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes
- Entrepreneurial mindset, creative strategic ability, and great leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Four-year and/or advanced degree in business administration, finance, or another relevant field
Other important parameters for this position include:
- Position reports to the Commercial Director – North America
- The position is supported by a team of three to four direct reports and a total staff of ten people.
- Position location is flexible; relocation is not required
- Approximately 20% travel