This company’s expertise in every aspect of the cane sugar process is without equal. They are the largest vertically integrated cane sugar refiner in the world, with nine refineries in five countries across the globe, collectively producing more than six million tons of sugar. As an expert in raw sugar procurement, their reach spans more than 40 countries and an ever-stronger network of partners and suppliers. They are leaders in their respective markets, covering own and private label sugars, sweeteners, and syrups in the grocery, foodservice, industrial, and pharmaceutical channels in the Americas, Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, India, and Asia.
They have operations in the area of Cordoba in Veracruz, Mexico, and one hour from Belize City, Belize. Operations include sugar cane plantations and sugar mills. All of the farms qualify for the fair trade certification, which provides additional compensation to local farmers and helps foster sustainable businesses and communities. In Mexico, the company farms roughly 7,500 acres of sugar cane, crushes more than one million tons, and produces over 100,000 tons of different types of sugar per year, whereby the finished product is used mainly for food consumption.
The Production Superintendent is responsible to manage daily operations and production processes and more specifically, all boiling house, conditioning, and packing operations. S/he will oversee and work closely with immediate production staff to maintain clarity and proper communication with the Industrial Operations Manager, achieve overall goals of the company’s production, cost control, resources management, and engage in new projects and CAPEX related activities. S/he will also ensure that all production processes are carried out efficiently while adhering to Company policies, rules, and regulations pertaining to HSE.
Strategic objectives and key deliverables
- Oversee all boiling house, conditioning, and packing operations to ensure the plant is operating at optimum levels, execute production plans according to customer requirements in terms of quality specifications and quantity;
- Develop strategic plans to implement and monitor quality/safety standards of the boiling house and other process areas;
- Liaise, coordinate and manage the activities of outside consultants and other factory service providers related to the boiling house processes and production operations;
- Work closely with and report all production operations to the Industrial Operations Manager to optimize resources, develop training requirements for the team;
- Interact with other internal area service provider like supply chain, procurement, stores, EHS, Finance, etc. to ensure operations run efficiently;
- Develop operational budgets and cost control;
- Key participant in developing CAPEX programs and maintenance budget with the aim to meet operational goals.
Detailed roles and key deliverables
- Lead a continuous drive of safety, environmental improvement, and compliance;
- Work in a cross-functional environment to lead production base teams delivering excellence in production in a planned and efficient manner;
- Manage deadlines and schedules associated with production-related plans during the season and off-season;
- Analyze and report on factory performance on an agreed frequency to different stakeholders;
- Manage work budgets and planned costs as defined by the company business plan;
- Organize the production team to achieve production targets associated with key performance indicators;
- Identify and implement opportunities for improving facilities, systems, people, and processes for current and future production operations;
- Understand the importance of strategic planning and influencing internal and external stakeholders;
- Being supportive of change, demonstrate initiative, and work well under pressure;
- Support maintenance teams to prioritize jobs based on operation requirements and overall benefit for the plant;
- Provide leadership to the site during absence of the Industrial Operations Manager;
- Review on a monthly basis the operations budget execution and do necessary adjustments in a timely manner;
- Coordinate and appraise the performance of immediate production staff (Process Supervisors, Pan Boilers, Trainee Process, Technicians and other Process and Boiling House employees);
- Assist the Operations Manager in assessing, recruiting, and training personnel for the Company’s Laboratory and Process operations;
- Assist with any other duties that may be assigned by the Industrial Operations Manager.
Other important parameters for this position include:
- The role reports to the Industrial Operations Manager;
- The position is located in Belize
- Minimum 10 years experience in the industrial environment of sugar cane processing;
- Solid management/supervision skills in a sugar mill with focus on boiling house and downstream facilities;
- Experienced with specialized methods and techniques to support continuous improvement;
- Well acquainted with resource management, including planning, budgeting monitoring, and reporting;
- Ability to engage and communicate across multiple disciplines and cultures; understanding the interests and needs of a culturally and technically diverse audience;
- Strong leadership presence with the ability to inspire others through leadership behavior;
- Change management experience preferred;
- Advanced level of project management skills;
- High level of computer literacy and proficiency in MS Office;
- High level of oral and written communication and practical problem-solving skills.
- Respects and follows safety policies and regulations; encourages safe and healthy work practices;
- Gives honest, fact-based, and specific feedback while encouraging others to grow and improve performance;
- Coaches employees to ensure skill development and maximized performance;
- Maintains a positive, productive attitude in the face of ambiguous situations;
- Proactively addresses conflict in a productive manner; takes steps to ensure conflicts do not escalate.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant Engineering discipline or equivalent practical experience;
- Strong English (priority/mandatory) and Spanish language skills.